Texas-Houston
Options

Where to shop for a dress on a budget??

Hi Ladies! 

I'll be home in Houston in a few weeks and want to set up appointments to try on dresses with my mom & sister while I'm in town. However I am on a tight budget! I need for the cost of my dress to be UNDER 1,000. (I'd like to keep the dress + alterations to equal 1k). I already have a veil. 

Any recommendations for stores in Houston? I don't want to bother with places that can't accomodate this price range, I don't want to put myself in the position of trying on dresses I can't afford!

TIA!

Re: Where to shop for a dress on a budget??

• Options
    I agree with Eboix518 about Ventura's and Marry Go Round. Ventura's has a large selection with a good range of prices. You should be able to find one in your price range. 

Marry Go Round sells mostly sample gowns... ones that were used for people to try on in bridal boutiques, runway samples, etc. They're sold off the rack so you go home with your gown that day. They do have some gowns on consignment, but I think most are samples. Their inventory varies, and it's hit or miss when you go. I unfortunately did not see any gowns I liked, but you might be lucky and find a high end designer gown you love that was originally $3000 for less than $1000. You can check out their inventory on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marry-Go-Round/146871908697961?sk=wall 

Milad bridal is also a consignment shop, but I don't know their prices. You could call and ask what their price ranges are. 

Good luck!

We got married 11/3/12!!

• Options
    tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Look for dresses you love online. Call Pearls Place www.pearlsplace.com {in Louisiana} for a price quote. You tell them the designer and style number. When it's under you budget, find a place in Houston that carries it so you can try it on. I got a $1200 dress for $500.
  • Options
    ditto venturas... my dress was $525
  • Options
    I got mine at Ventura's too, although it was a little over your budget. I was really ready to buy a used dress from oncewed.com or preownedweddingdresses.com, but when I went dress shopping with my mom I fell in love with a dress at Ventura. But I have heard lots of good things about buying used dresses - you can buy reallyyyy nice designer dresses for a fraction of the cost, and they are usually in really good condition since they've only been worn a few hours! :)
  • Options
    I will second Pearl's Place. I got my dress through their services as well.
    And now we are as one
    Married February 20, 2011

• Options
    I went to the Bridal Connection off 610 and 59. Got my Mori Lee dress and a free veil. And they also threw in the pettie coat for free and they are going to color it for me for free. It looks a bit "dated" in there but the ladies were really good and kind. Better experience with them than I had with other salons
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_where-to-shop-for-a-dress-on-a-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:121Discussion:5d589d17-ea89-4e10-90aa-d993a952e5a0Post:1aa8dee4-46be-4c0e-b7e0-37df2fe17731">Re: Where to shop for a dress on a budget??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Eboix518 about Ventura's and Marry Go Round.  you might be lucky and find a <strong>high end designer gown you love that was originally $3000 for less than $1000.</strong> You can check out their inventory on  <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marry-Go-Round/146871908697961?sk=wall" rel="nofollow">http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marry-Go-Round/146871908697961?sk=wall</a>   Milad bridal is also a consignment shop, but I don't know their prices. You could call and ask what their price ranges are.  Good luck!
    Posted by t12ubeauty[/QUOTE]

THIS! I was extremely Lucky and found a high end dress for $550. I bought it on the spot. After alterations and cleaning, the total cost of my dress is $750 and they have veils there for around $40 to $60.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    I visited Weddings by Debbie in Katy with a budget that was similar to yours. They have dresses (although it's just a few) in that price range. if you buy on your first visit, they offer a discount. I found and purchased mine at Ventura's. I found 2 dresses, both were for a very good price compared to other bridal shops. On top of the great price, I got a discount.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all the help! I am setting up appointments!
  • Options
    I got my dress at Brickhouse bridal and they had a lot of different dresses.  I actually ended up deciding on a Priscilla of Boston dress and never wore the other one.  If you're interested: http://www.recycledbride.com/listing/wedding-dresses/emerald-bridal-couturiers-9174. Let me know and you can try it on. I live in Houston.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards