Texas-Houston
Options

Interesting/alternative venue?

Hi,

Fiance and I are looking to get married spring of 2012 and have a relatively small budget (for a wedding...can you BELIEVE how much it costs??!).
Anyway, we'er hoping to have a really personalized ceremony and reception and do a lot of details ourselves, but we are having trouble finding a unique and interesting venue. We both feel that ballrooms are pretty impersonal, and also most of the time you are required to use their caterer which really drives up the cost. We pretty much want to cater tex-mex because we never have any good stuff up north :) Also CHEAP

We both live in Boston, MA but my parents live in Houston, so we are doing it down there because...OMG BOSTON IS SO EXPENSIVE.

We both got really excited about this venue:
http://www.indiansummerlodge.com/
But it closed :(
Now we're back at square one.

A museum, barn (but we're from Boston so a texas-y barn is a little overboard), old house, loft, etc?

Any suggestions?? :)

Thanks so much!

Re: Interesting/alternative venue?

• Options
    PJS001PJS001 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out the Heights Firestation. STBMrsMartin had her wedding there and it looked amazing.

It is a do it all yourself venue so it allows you to decorate it the way you want.
    And now we are as one
    Married February 20, 2011

• Options
    lealfrantzlealfrantz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

That makes me think a lot of Rainbow Lodge.

The firestation is gorgeous! Oak Tree Manor is pretty different as well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Heights Firestation is a great venue. I've been to 2 weddings there and they were both unique and had great photo ops.

You can also look at Magestic Metro for something different.
  • Options
    PJS001PJS001 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Majestic Metro is awesome, but definitely not budget friendly. It is a bit pricey if you are on a limited budget.
    And now we are as one
    Married February 20, 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The Heights Firehouse is a great venue! We thought about getting married there, but it's not very handicap friendly which didn't work for us. A few other interesting, but budget-friendly, places we looked into: Heights Theater (Houston), Fort Bend Museum (Richmond), Galveston Railroad Museum (Galveston, of course), Live Oak Art Center (Columbus), and Giddings Stone Mansion (Brenham).

We are using the Milford House (part of the Italian Cultural and Community Center). It is an old house in the Museum District with the back half converted into a reception area. You have a lot of leeway and you can bring in a caterer or your own food.
    "What you feel only matters to you. It's what you do to the people you say you love ... That's what matters. That's the only thing that counts." -The Last Kiss Anniversary
  • Options
    lrc3233lrc3233 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! These are great ideas! Any more? :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We checked out the Firestation, but you are VERY limited on decorating, which i am not a fan of. I basically wanted something DIFFERENT, UNIQUE, BEAUTIFUL ALL AROUND WITHOUT DECORATIONS. After my first 3 months of being newly engaged and searching. We found it. The Gardens of Bammel Lane.

We are on a tight budget, too and the Gardens gives you the opportunity to get creative and bust out DIY projects that fit your budget. My photographer is more expensive than the venue rental, but to me that's very important (I'm a wedding photographer myself).

Let me know if yoou want more info!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards