Texas-Houston
Options

Pricing for cakes and photographers

I need to know what is a good/reasonable price for wedding cakes/grooms cakes for the houston area. My dad is an accountant so i need to do all the research before i hand him the quotes to make sure everything is covered. Also what is a resonable price to pay for a photographer in the houston area. i have researched all over and all the prices are all over the place. I don't know what is a good reasonable price. Thanks for the help beforehand.

Re: Pricing for cakes and photographers

• Options
    tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cake pricing will depend on how many people it will be serving and how detailed the decorations on it are. And photographers depend on, usually, how many hours you're using them and what all you need in your package. So more details would help us give you better numbers.
  • Options
    lealfrantzlealfrantz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really can't say for cakes. A family friend is making ours.

We are paying $1000 for our Photographers, but I feel like we are getting and awesome deal. It is for 6hrs, 2 photographers, engagement pictures, 100 photo cards, a printable cd with all of your pictures, and an 18x20 print.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    for the cake, the bakeries that i have looked at have been pricing at around $3.99 for buttercream and $5-6 for fondant per serving. i have a former neighbor who makes cakes and she quoted me $3.50 per serving for wedding cake and told me if i did both the wedding cake and grooms cake she would give me a discount. the amt. of the discount is unknown at this time.

for the photographer, i want at least 8 hours of pcitures, hopefully 2 photographers and engagement included. i have looked at a couple and there is one that i really like for $1600 which includes 8 hrs, 2 photographers, full disc, one portrait for wedding day, engagement session included and no traveling fees ( which helps bc ours is out in the country). i don't know if thats a fair deal or really too much.
  • Options
    tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen cakes, buttercream, from $2.65-$3.75/slice. Cakes Houston was $2.65/slice with a complimentary grooms cake. And their cake is DELICIOUS!!!

That photographer's price is good, I think. My photographer is $500 for 10 hrs, 2 photographers, full disc of edited photos. She has a package for $650, includes the same but it's 11 hrs and includes a e-pic session.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_pricing-cakes-photographers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:121Discussion:9fd6350a-09f7-45b9-9536-2eb119b327d0Post:98d3666e-58fd-402c-a74a-b65854f34558">Re: Pricing for cakes and photographers</a>:
    [QUOTE] for the photographer, i want at least 8 hours of pcitures, hopefully 2 photographers and engagement included. i have looked at a couple and there is one that i really like for $1600 which includes 8 hrs, 2 photographers, full disc, one portrait for wedding day, engagement session included and no traveling fees ( which helps bc ours is out in the country). i don't know if thats a fair deal or really too much.
    Posted by futuremrsbecerra[/QUOTE]

I cant remember my wedding cake price because it was included with my venue...but i paid like $150 for my grooms cake, basic, cut into mustang shape, to feed 75 people.

That is a great price for that photographer's package. especially if you like their work.
    Becca & Justin - 5/16/09 - Planning Bio My Blog(updated 3/12)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well we are using Supreme Kakes and are getting a 4 tier round cake and a groom cake for 400.00 dollars total. Wedding cake will fed about 115 and the groom cake feds about 75.00. We did the groom cake less since a lot of people really don't eat chocolate cake. As for the photographer my guy is charging us 650.00 and that includes engagement session, unlimited hours for wedding, a leather wedding album, (1) 11x14, (4) 5x7's, (4) 8x10's. The engagement portraits are (1) 16x20, (1) 11x14, (2) 8x10's, (2) 5x7's, and 24 wallets or comparable package and a photo CD containing all wedding photos and engagement photos. He's work is lovely and he is so sweet. He's name is Duane and his website is www.dcsmith.photography,zenfolio. You can contact him if you like, check out his work
  • Options
    PJS001PJS001 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as photography goes, the price sounds about right. If you want 8 hours of coverage, I would estimate that it will be in the $1500-2000 range depending on the photographer.
    And now we are as one
    Married February 20, 2011

• Options
    Eboix518Eboix518 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Our cakes I think was in the $4 per slice range - mine was 5 tiers firs layer was fake and I think was around 1K to 1,500 or so and DH's cake was around 600 or so with 6 dozen chocolate covered tuxedo strawberries on it - cakes by gina did our cakes and they were delicious

As far as photography goes, there is a wide range. Photography was important to me so we spent a lot more on that, our budget was on the high end - around 5K, but you can get a great photographer for less. We used the same photographer that shot my sisters wedding, wanted to go with someone we knew etc....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds like a pretty good price for photography.  Also, check out the photographers who advertise on craigslist.  Their prices are pretty good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kitkat610kitkat610 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My photographer is from Dallas and is $2500 for unlimited wedding day, all editing, engagements, and bridals. Website is http://theclickphoto.net/?load=flash in case you want to see. So that price sounds great.

The baker that our venue recommended was $500 for both wedding and grooms cake to feed 100 people (or $300 for wedding and $200 for grooms). I haven't designed mine yet, but it seemed to be a great deal and cake was DELICOUS
    http://www.bavariancakery.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tyboyd-Could you please provide me with contact info for the photographer you hired? I'm in the process of looking  for a very resonably priced photographer for my "big day". Sounds like you got a great deal on their services!! Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tije413tije413 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    JUST STAY AWAY FROM SUPREME KAKES! I was referred to Supreme Kakes for my husband's birthday cake that I needed at last minute. Althought I was a bit fearful at looking at their diplays being that they look very amatuer, I decided that I would give them a shot at a 3 tier cake with buttercream icing. When I arrived the next day to pick up the cake, the appearance was that of the other cakes on display, very novice! My disappointment comes not at the outer appearance but the taste of the cake. The cake taste wet, not moist as the owner tried to convince me of as if he had personally had a slice. I honestly would not be writing anything negative or otherwise had the taste of the cake been up to par. If this had been my wedding cake I would have been devastated because in that situation a do over is not an option! As you can see from my other reviews, negativity is not an arena in which I thrive and I love to give credit where credit is due! So no thanks at the option to redo the cake I will just take the $235 loss. If you would like me to email you a picture of the cake that Supreme Kakes provided me, send me an email tiataylor1st@yahoo.com and I would love to share. In all the owner stated he could not understand my grievances at all being that no one has ever complained in 3 years so I really hate being the 1st. Wish I had gone to Sam's Club!
  • Options
    <div>Do not use this photographer </div><div>
    </div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Our experience started off wonderfully with Duane.  We met with him viewed the different package options and signed the contract.  We loved our engagement photos and received the rights to access them in a timely manner.  The day of the wedding he showed up on time and we enjoyed his professional attitude the whole entire day.  After our wedding is when everything went down hill quickly.  Our contract stated the following…</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">-<span style="color:black;">The printing process starts the business day after the ceremony.  Digital processing takes approximately 3 weeks. Enlargements take approximately 1-2 weeks or possibly longer when laboratory and bindery schedules are heavy.</span></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">-<span style="color:black;">FINAL DELIVERY: </span><span style="color:black;">“DC Smith Photography” will deliver the prints and any additional material once printing is completed. </span></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;color:black;">-The approximate date and time for delivery is June 25, 2012, after 5:00pm.  All attempts will be made to deliver the prints on or before the above date and time.</span><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;"></span></p> <p style="margin-bottom:0.0001pt;line-height:normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;color:black;">-Amendments to Final Delivery:  Valorie Dixon will also receive a disc containing the Engagement Portraits.  This disc will be made available within one week of capturing the images.  DCSmith Photography will also have the Engagement Prints (chosen by Valorie Dixon) delivered within three business days of the choices being made.  </span></p> <p style="margin-bottom:0.0001pt;line-height:normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;color:black;"> </span></p> <p style="margin-bottom:0.0001pt;line-height:normal;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;color:black;"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><strong><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">I think the timeline below explains why I would never use this company and my complete and utter frustration</span></strong></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">June 2- We were married!!!</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">June 12- Duane started to add a couple of photos to website</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">June 20-  still not really many photos on website.  I sent email about link being disabled and checking on the rest of the photos</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">June 28- I started to see more on website</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">July 17- I sent email as not all of the photos has been put on website still</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">July 18- received an email from Duane saying he will be receiving pictures shortly and put on website as well he was going to send us a few extra prints for the problems so far</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">July 30- I picked prints for package and sent email saying what I wanted and asked about CD and extra prints we were suppose to get due to time of pictures not being on website and also about album</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Aug 15- resent email as I had not heard anything back</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Sept 10- resent email a second time  </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Sept 10- Received email back from Duane that he was passing our info off to another person and she would handle our account </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Sept. 11- received email from other person and she said our wedding pictures would arrive within 3-5 days as well we will receive cd within the week.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Sept 25- received some of our photos however still missing cd and album. Emailed other contact person with info.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Sept 27- first time since married we have been asked for selection of our photos for the album ever</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Sept 27- we replied back asking how many photos we need to suggest and sizes </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Sept 28- was told just need to pick 53 photos and they will do the sizes</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Oct 15-  we sent the photos we would like in the book</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Oct 18- she let us know it would only take a day or 2</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Oct 29- We emailed to see about any updates as we still had not received cd or album</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Nov 1- received email being told they would have our order number shortly</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Nov 7- we emailed them again as we have not had a response </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Nov 8- received email that everything is going smoothly with the book</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Nov 16- we sent out an email again asking on the completion of the album along with the cd</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Nov 16- Duane emailed back saying thank you for choosing your choices last month for the album you will receive it sometime within the week</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Nov 27- received email from Duane saying we would get album this week no confirmation on prints or cd</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Nov 29- received email saying that we would receive everything no later then Friday </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">December 2- got email from Duane that album should arrive tomorrow and CD on tuesday</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">December 18- received photo book no cds and sent another email</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">The cds were dropped off in our mail box</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><strong><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">I feel how the situation was handled on Duane’s and his colleges part was completely unacceptable and the measly few extra print we received due to the photos not being up on the website in a timely manner does not even come close to making up for all of the issues we experienced.  I am extremely disappointed that I spent money with this company and wish I had never heard about them.  </span></strong></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><strong><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;"> </span></strong></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">Duane if you would like to follow up with me on all of the issues I have expressed here I would love to talk with you as I honestly believe that you either </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">A) have no idea on all of the problems that took place and now you would love to make up for them </span></p> <p class="MsoListParagraph"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;">or</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman', serif;"> B) Frankly just don’t care and plan to continue to ignore it</span></p></div>n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_pricing-cakes-photographers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:121Discussion:9fd6350a-09f7-45b9-9536-2eb119b327d0Post:2d1aa4f3-3d4e-4d43-9a7f-b7ad8bd5824d">Re: Pricing for cakes and photographers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well we are using Supreme Kakes and are getting a 4 tier round cake and a groom cake for 400.00 dollars total. Wedding cake will fed about 115 and the groom cake feds about 75.00. We did the groom cake less since a lot of people really don't eat chocolate cake. As for the photographer my guy is charging us 650.00 and that includes engagement session, unlimited hours for wedding, a leather wedding album, (1) 11x14, (4) 5x7's, (4) 8x10's. The engagement portraits are (1) 16x20, (1) 11x14, (2) 8x10's, (2) 5x7's, and 24 wallets or comparable package and a photo CD containing all wedding photos and engagement photos. He's work is lovely and he is so sweet. He's name is Duane and his website is <a href="http://www.dcsmith.photography,zenfolio" rel="nofollow">www.dcsmith.photography,zenfolio</a> . You can contact him if you like, check out his work
    Posted by kbval0512[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards