Texas-Houston

NWR - Moving to Houston area..need feedback

Hey ya'll. My husband and I are getting ready to move to the Houston area for his job. He's going to be working in Channelview. He's over there now and looking at apartments and we're torn because we found a really nice complex in Channelview (Stone Park) but the only people we know there (they live in Pasadena) have really bad things to say about Channelview. We can tell that some areas are more run down, but the complex itself is nice and would be close to his work. We're not sure how seriously to take what these people are saying because they're pretty well off and probably have higher standards for living conditions than we do. But we also don't want to live somewhere where there is alot of crime, especially since hubby will be working shifts that end or start at 4am and I will be home alone at night alot. Our other option is to live in Pasadena which would mean hubby has to commute about 30 min. Basically, I'm just looking for opinions from anyone who lives in or around the area on what Channelview is like, if it's really as bad as we're being told. Any insight would be appreciated!!
"When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis

Re: NWR - Moving to Houston area..need feedback

• I do not live in Channelview - but I live nearby in La Porte.  I used to work in Channelview and commute - it didn't take long.  There are nicer parts of Channelview - just as there are anywhere.  I am not familiar with the specific apartments you mentioned, but I looked them up.  Based on their address - they are RIGHT off the highway, which is something to think about.  They look nice though, and they aren't really in the heart of Channelview.  

To commute from Pasadena really isnt' far - just have to pay to drive across the Beltway bridge or go through the tunnel which takes a little longer. 

My FI works shift work too - and although I am very independent, I am not a fan of spending nights alone.  I feel safe in our house, but I don't know if I would move to Channelview.  Everyone is different - but my $.02, consider more options before you commit.  Regardless of what city, living right next to the highway often leads to higher crime and problems. 

Good luck!
  • Honestly I would check out the Houston forums on city-data:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/

The people on those forums have quite a bit of insight into various areas and the forum is searchable. I found it useful when I was looking at various areas while house hunting. HTH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Thanks guys, I appreciate it:)
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
  • I'm not that familiar with Channelview area, but another option would be to look a little to the north - Sheldon or Cosby area.  These areas have always been 'country', but its all being developed with new housing.  The commute would not be much further and you would still be on the same side of the ship channel.  Just something to consider.

Good luck.

• *Crosby area (not Cosby)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards