Texas-Houston
Options

Hispanic Groom and White Bride - NEED IDEAS!

My fiance has some family coming in from Mexico to come to the wedding so we are having just a few parts of the wedding translated.  I wanted them to feel included...especially since they are driving more than 10 hours to come.  But I need help with the reception... Do I mix up the music?  Do we have the reception translated also?  Like when the DJ calls for a certain dance, or toasts or something?  Any other ideas or suggestions for me?  HELP PLEASE!!!

Hailey

Re: Hispanic Groom and White Bride - NEED IDEAS!

• Options
    sweet__peasweet__pea member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd definitely include some bilingual emceeing, just so that his side of the family knows what is going on (ie: first dance, cake cutting, etc.)  As far as music, yes, mix it up to incorporate music for both families, as you do want to make sure everyone, or at least the majority of the guests, enjoy the night.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am Hispanic and FI is Black we will definitely be play all kinds of latin music. I think you should mix it up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    lawddlawdd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes ma'am! U are deff. gna want to have mixes!Theres alot of good mixes the DJ can do to get EVERYONE dancing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with previous posters. Mix it up. And bilingual MCing for important parts of the reception is a great idea. Are you including any of his wedding customs or traditions?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the D.J should announce the toast, dance, garter toss, etc in both spanish and english. You should play spanish music too
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im half hispanic/half white and DH is half white/half black, so we had a huge melting pot of people. We incorporated all cultures- we had mariachis, played all kinds of music, etc. Everyone had a blast!!
  • Options
    stine_whitestine_white member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm white and he's Colombian, so we mixed in a lot of Latin music (everyone got up and danced to it, more so than the other kinds!)  and we did some of the readings in Spanish.  We also had our rehearsal dinner at a Colombian restaurant, which everyone loved.

Another idea - every Hispanic wedding I've been too (Mexican, Colombian, Venezuelan..) they bring out party toys during the dancing.  Think glow in the dark jewelry, funny hats, inflatable saxophones and guitars, flower leis.  It's always been a ton of fun and they make great pictures.  We put some over by the photo booth and gave the rest to the DJ to hand out.

A good req on a bilingual DJ is Elegante Entertainment.  Frank is awesome.
  • Options
    lew2011lew2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am in the exact same boat (I'm white, my fiance is Hispanic).  We are absolutely having mariachis, which we will most likely use for a specific time period, like during the cocktail hour at the beginning or while guests are eating dinner.  I'm also planning on serving a Mexican inspired menu, with cocktail sized empanadas, fajitas, and a quesidilla station.  I LOVE LOVE Mexican food, so initially I wanted to just serve straight up fajitas on a buffet line (my Mom did this when she married my step-dad and it was awesome)  Buuuut, my fiance thought this may not go over so well with his family coming in from Mexico, cause they might think we served Mexican food because of them, not simply because it's my favorite.  Ultimately, there can be some distinct differences between the two cultures and how things are done, but you need to do what is best for you and your fiance, cause it is your day (thus, why I am still serving Mexican food, just in a different way and with more variety).

Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards