Texas-Houston

Just Engaged

Hello Everyone!

Just got a engaged & don't know where to even begin.  Should I already be overwhelmed?  After putting a budget together, what should be the first thing I do...find a venue, find a wedding planner....help!

Re: Just Engaged

• sklink0486sklink0486 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make a guest list!!! Besides the budget that is definitely what you need to do next before even looking into venues. And my advice is to truly take some time with that because it is really important unless you just want a huge ballroom that holds 300 people, but even then, many venues won't book you for 150 people in a room that holds 300...anyways, guest list next!

After that, I suggest getting a general idea of what type of wedding you want to have- formal, casual, etc. and then you can start looking at venues and/or churches if need be. I am doing everything on my own and sometimes feel overwhelmed so if you are already feeling this way, you may want to consider a wedding planner if you can find one at a good price. Good luck!
    Planning Bio

Our wedding date is November 12, 2011

110 invited 86 accepted! 20 can't make it 4 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 12th, 2011

• KAnde818KAnde818 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd find a ceremony site first. I had a hard time finding a church that was available for my date (I booked the reception site first). Don't feel overwhelmed. This is an exciting time! I'm using the checklist on the knot to make sure I get everything done in a timely manner. It's helping A LOT!

Happy Planning! ...and CONGRATULATIONS!
    PersonalMilestone
  • BrideBling82BrideBling82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats fullwed!! Do not feel overwelmed just yet....enjoy your engagement. I hit the ground running after less than a week of being engaged...then again I was engaged the ending of October and my mom was determined to have all the major things booked before the holidays rolled around. I did mine backwards...we looked at Venues first and then I started dress shopping .Next it was looking at churches. The church was booked first, then I found the dress and ordered it, then we booked the venue and then I booked the cake all before Dec 1. I would say the first thing you should do is set a budget then figure out your guestlist.....everything else will follow. I still feel stressed sometimes but I'm about 6 weeks away but I'm glad the initial confusion is gone. It's hard to know where to start and what to do...but ask questions, talk to other brides while ur shopping for dresses...they can be very helpful!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FullwedFullwed member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies!  All the info is welcomed & appreciated.  I guess I'm just terrrified that I will miss something!  Hopfully I can sleep sometime soon so that my head can clear & I can then go forward.
  • aylerzaylerz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got engaged in January and my parents ended up talking me into having my wedding this December. I am still freaking out that I'm forgetting something, but so far everything has gone smoothly.
    I would do a budget first. We sat down and figured out how much my parents could pay for, and how much we could save and pay for. After that we figured out how many people we could afford to feed on our catering budget and that determined how big our guest list could be.
    My advice for looking at vendors - look outside the box! And if you find someone you love (we found my caterer first - she is LOVELY and actually found our venue for us once we told her our budget) ask them for advice. These people do this all year, so they have the best ideas.
    Also do not be afraid to be upfront about your budget. At the end of the day they still want your money, so everyone will work with you. I thought I knew what kind of wedding I wanted, but as we pounded it out, I ended up with something way better, even if it wasn't what I thought I wanted.
    Oh and those wedding planners you find at barnes and noble really are helpful. I used mine to make a list of what all I needed and I just keep using the list.
    Good luck and congrats!
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. My friends got engaged and one of the first things they did was call me for an engagement photo shoot. They are going to use the photos on their wedding website, too! They are thrilled with how the pictures turned out. Laughing

If you would like a photo shoot, I do it for only $5 per edited picture. THAT'S IT! Here is my website: https://www.facebook.com/nericephotography

Feel free to message me for more details!
  • edited December 2011
    BIG CONGRATS! Don't forget to start researching your local entertainment (if you like to party). Your reception consists of 60% of the day and what your family and friends look forward to other than seeing you in that beautiful dress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards