Texas-Houston

Timing??

My wedding is at 2pm and I'm guessing will last about 30-45 min.  The reception is at the same location.  We will have fruit, veggies, cheese, crackers, and punch at the reception along with plenty of alcohol.  Dinner will not be served until 5.  Is that too long to have people mingle??  What do I do with the open time?  We'll have some pics to take of course, is it crazy to make people wait that long for dinner or is this normal?  Should we have the DJ start early with music instead of waiting until after dinner to start?  Is this good to give us time to get around to people?

Re: Timing??

• loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the dj should start the music after the ceremony, maybe even do the 1st dance.

The usual length of 'cocktail' time is 1 hour.
  • edited December 2011
    Thats a long cocktail hour for guests.. but at least they will have some snacks to tie them over till dinner.  
    Photobucket We're Married!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    it is a bit of a stretch for the cocktail hour, but if you do a receiving line, you may not finish until 3:30, so it would cut down on the cocktail hour. as long as they have drinks and nibbles, i think it should be fine. Yes, have the music during the cocktail hour, too.
  • mdscopelmdscopel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So what about dinner at 4 or 4:30??  Would that be better or is that too early?
  • edited December 2011
    Dinner at 4 or 4:30 would be much better.  I recently went to a wedding with the type of gap you mention and a lot of people left early because it was such a long day.
    Our Wedding Day
  • edited December 2011
    yeah that is a long gap... did yo plan on doing anything like first dances, garter toss in between to fill the area? I'd make it shorter if possible...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards