Texas-Houston
Options

Wedding Coordinators

Hey to all my lovely brides, I wanted to know how many of you guys are using a wedding coordinator for your event? And if so who are you using. I'm not sure if I want a wedding coordinator as I feel that I can do some things myself but on the other side I'm like who's going to make sure everything is set up for the event and etc. My Fiance and I are on a budget and just don't want to spend so much money on a wedding coordinator. What are you guys thoughts and recommendations?

Re: Wedding Coordinators

• Options
    STBMrsDavisSTBMrsDavis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally did not have a wedding coordinator. I didn't want to spend the money (I could think of a million other places to use the funds) and I'm a bit of a control freak and planning my wedding is something I've always dreamed of, so for me personally I didn't want to share that aspect with a random person and nixed the idea. 

I was very lucky in that my MOH and my FMIL did everything I needed them to and were HUGE help. I DID however hire a day of coordinator (from my DJ) so that things stay on schedule the day of and everything will transition smoothly. It was ALOT cheaper and I know I'm in good hands for the day of (the most important!). Hope this helps!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love planning and I'm a control freak as well so I don't plan on having a wedding coordinator
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I understand you guys truly. And I can sometimes be a control freak. Maybe this is one event that I need to have fully control over. I'm just lost and don't know what I need to do next. Fiance and I just booked our venue on yesterday and our event is for another year. It's March 2012, so I guess I have time but not really.
  • Options
    STBMrsMartinSTBMrsMartin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    If I had to do it over again i would have hired a day of coordinator. My MIL and SIL did everything for me, but when I look back at the reception it didn't look like they were having a good time because they were stressing if I would be happy and went my way because I am also a control freak. I would only get one so my family could enjoy the day as well.

Maybe your venue's coordinator can help or you can find an inexpensive one on craigslist. Maybe someone who is starting up in the industry.
    Photobucket
    Our little miracle, Jett.
    Planning Bio,
    My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm still debating this one myself.  But no matter how I look at it...I  might just have to cave in and hire a Day Of Coordinator.  Not sure who I'm going to go with as of yet.  
  • Options
    Karamel_bpKaramel_bp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I have a coordinator. The coordinator is specifically for the day of to make sure everything goes okay and that you don't stress or worry about anything. ie rehearsal, vendors on time, all the things you won't be able to handle while you are supposed to be ready.

Now as for as a planner is concerned I can pretty much do that myself. Making all the phone calls and handling all the details. But if you are looking for a coordinator you can try mine.

I will send you a personal message with her info
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DEFINITELY hire a DOC!

I'm with you on not wanting to get a planner.... that's just money for something I could do myself anyway. But I do DOC and there is NO WAY that I will have my wedding without one.

If you really don't have it in your budget then try Craigslist and the Wedding Bee Classifieds. That's where I did my advertising when I was trying to building my coordinating portfolio. I did weddings for free, and I know there are others out there who are doing that same thing.

Another idea that some people don't think of..... in college my concentration was wedding/event mgmt (I was a hospitality/tourism mjr) and there were TONS of girls who would do that kind of stuff for free to gain experience. I "hired" my DOC for my wedding by emailing the department director and having her send out and email. I got a LOT of response. I just promise to write them a reference letter and let them use my pics, which is what I asked of the brides I worked for for free.

If your venue HAS a coordinator then you probably don't need one, but it's really nice to hand the stress over to someone else. I know I run around like a crazy person at weddings, so I can't imagine trying to be the bride AND do that!

Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks again ladies, you all are very helpful. Now I can stop worrying on rather to have a planner or not. So the planner is OUT and I'm going to look for a Day of Coordinator to make sure everything runs smoothly and timely. I can plan my wedding by myself as I have basically done thus far by calling and making arrangements. My wedding isn't until March 2012 but I know as Brides we can never be too early. Venue is booked just need to work and see what's next to take care of.
  • Options
    mpwdpwmpwdpw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Jennifer Wood for my wedding coordinator.  She was very nice and made sure everything went smooth and even kicked out some hotel wedding crashers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is in one month and I'm using Chelsea Milian from Milian Events.  She does wedding coordination part-time, but she's always available whenever you need.  I found her on theknot 6 months ago.  She's also newer in the business so she's willing to do whatever you need- putting together invitations, collecting and organizing RSVPs, unlimited emails/meetings- without charging you extra like the bigger companies.  Both my FI and I work full time and didn't want to stress about anything so we had her from the start and we really think she did a GREAT job!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards