Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Do I really need a *Wedding* ring?

I absolutely love my engagement ring, and we just picked a slightly more expensive venue, so we're trying to save money where ever we can. I'm surpising my fiancee with a The Flash tungsten ring - it's only going to cost $100. That being said, do I really need a wedding band or "enhancer" in addition to my engagement ring or can I use my engagement ring AS my wedding ring?

I don't exactly know the custom, if my engagement ring can just become my wedding ring?
"So what? So it's not going to be easy. It's gonna be hard.
Really hard. But I wanna do that because I want you
- all of you, you and me, every day. Forever."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do I really need a *Wedding* ring?

• Nope - you don't need a wedding ring!  You can absolutely use your engagement ring if that's what you want.
  • I personally wanted a plain band because I'm around horses, dogs, slobbery kids, I bake bread, ect ect all the time. I want to be able to take my diamond bands off and still be wearing the ring that says that I'm married. The wedding band is the most sacred one to me, but that's just how I feel about it!
    Don't not get one because of the budget... thinking back, are you going to wish that you had fancier silverware or that you skipped a few things in the budget and got a meaningful wedding band that will be a symbol of your wedding day for the rest of your life?
    That said, if you really don't feel that it's important and having only the engagement ring is right for you, then go with that!
  • You can use your engagement ring if you want.  You don't even really have to have a ring if you don't want.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • The only thing is that some people will assume you are only engaged, not married. If you don't mind occasionally explaining, then you don't need one. You can get some very inexpensive but nice-looking rings on Overstock.com if you think it will bother you to not have one.
  • My E ring is CZ since I don't like real diamonds.  Unfortunately, it doesn't have a band that goes with it so we are going to look for a set on amazon or something.  They have some really pretty inexpensive CZ ones. 
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not planning on buying an additional ring. I wasn't actually aware of the 'two ring' thing until I started planning my wedding, my mom has worn only her engagement ring for her 26 years of marriage, so I thought it was normal.  I say go for it if you love your e-ring on its own!
  • We plan use use my engagement ring in the ceremony.  I don't want a wedding band.  My engagement ring is already pretty wide (6mm) and I do not like the feel of wearing two rings, plus it's just unnecessary spending in my mind.

• I agree with everyone else - I am using my engagement ring during my ceremony and skipping the traditional band. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nope, you don't need one.  Your FI could always buy you one as a 1st anniversary gift or something - I know a girl who had a "fake" band (some CZs in sterling silver that they got for cheap at a dept. store) to use on their wedding day and planned to buy the band that matched her e-ring once they were more financially stable.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_really-need-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:69d45582-6e47-46f4-8b16-6a395f493d28Post:7e0968ab-f13b-47cb-b90f-a8828da3a257">Re: Do I really need a *Wedding* ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only thing is that some people will assume you are only engaged, not married. If you don't mind occasionally explaining, then you don't need one. You can get some very inexpensive but nice-looking rings on Overstock.com if you think it will bother you to not have one.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

<div>This. I wear my engagement ring on my left hand and my wedding band on my right hand (They don't fit up against each other). People ask me when I'm getting married etc. and I explain I'm already married. It can be a little annoying at times which I realize sounds silly but it's true that it can be annoying.</div>
  • Nope, no need to have a separate band.  Do what you like!

You can always buy one in a year or 5 years once you've saved up if it is important to you to have a second ring.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_really-need-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:69d45582-6e47-46f4-8b16-6a395f493d28Post:fcf0eb51-3453-4582-9f69-1923e23dc74c">Re: Do I really need a *Wedding* ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My E ring is CZ since I don't like real diamonds.  Unfortunately, it doesn't have a band that goes with it so we are going to look for a set on amazon or something.  They have some really pretty inexpensive CZ ones. 
    Posted by B&K10+13+12[/QUOTE]
     <div>
    </div><div>I agree. I have a swarovski crystal ring instead of a diamond. That way if it gets lost, stolen, broken it is cheap to replace and still beautiful</div><div>
    </div><div>I also wanted a rock, and swarovski was the most affordable. </div><div>
    </div><div>To answer your question I know a lot of wives that only wear their engagement ring. Many people question them but it all works out.</div><div>
    </div><div>totally up to you</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My ering is doubling as my wband. Nothing wrong with that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards