Rhode Island

Renting a House for Wedding

Has any one had experience renting a house on a large piece of property to host a wedding in RI?  I am looking into renting a house for 4 days up to a week and having a tented reception on the grounds.  I know there will be lots of logistics to coordinate...tents, tables, chairs, linens, china, caterer, potential license from the Town, bathroom facilities, ect.  Any insight would be greatly appriciated.

Re: Renting a House for Wedding

• edited December 2011
    The girl who wrote the Ten Thousand Only blog was looking into doing this in CA.  That might help you with trying to figure out logistics?  She made pros and cons lists, as I remember.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I looked into doing this for my wedding. No one wanted to rent me their house when I told them I wanted to have my wedding there, and no realtors would ever get back to me with anything reasonable. There is one estate, Weatherledge in Jamestown I believe, that lets you rent the property for the week and have your tented reception on site, and they help coordinate with the rentals.
  • kerac5kerac5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it is Weatherledge.  We considered that, but once all the rental fees and everything added up there (tents, caterers, insurance, house rental, property rental, parking etc), it was well over 20,000 (and that was before any decor or the rest).There is also the Silver Lake Cottage in Wakefield on a lake-- its gorgeous.  It used to be owned by the Welch family (the juice). If you would have a smaller wedding, this would be an incredible venue.  You can do tents and stuff there.Unfortunately, I never found a house rental that I could use for a wedding in Southern RI for less than 10,000 for the rental.  The insurance prices were through the roof! GOod luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Are you looking for a place to rent, or just the planning logistics?  I can't help with the planning, but I read a post on Anne's Blog (from All4youDJ) about a wedding at a private house rental in Bristol, hopefully this works: http://all4youdj.blogspot.com/2009/05/ishan-charini-may-9-2009.htmlThe house:http://www.vrbo.com/13911
  • AngieP900AngieP900 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any advice, but good luck and let us know who it turns out. I wanted to do that originally, but just to rent a tent is pretty outrageous.
    For less then ten cents a day, you can feed a hungry child.
  • edited December 2011
    I got married at Wetherledge about a year ago. If you're interested I could email you some of my photos and share with you what I did for mine.
  • Looking for the same thing without much luck. Emailed a few places on homeaway and they weren't too keen on having a wedding at their home. 
  • Wetherledge is nice and we considered it as well...however $5k for simply using her lawn for a reception, for 130 guests is absolutely ridiculous. For that price you can go to a beautiful country club or one of the mansions in Newport.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards