Rhode Island

Help trying to change my name

Hi Ladies

has anyone changed their name in RI yet? I am trying to with the social security department but I am having a hard time. How did you do it? I cant seem to find an address to mail my application. Do i have to go to an office?

help!

Re: Help trying to change my name

• AmyRIAmyRI member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You do have to go to the social security office. It's near the courthouse in Warwick.

I changed my name after my wedding last year. I kept detailed notes and put it in my bio. Here's a link with tons of details on changing your name in RI.
    http://amysweddingbio.webs.com/namechange.htm

It's a long process. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I used Amy's link when I did mine.  I was also moving from MA to RI at the time, so it was extra annoying.  It took me about 5 months to get everything done.  Wait, I still have to do my passport......that's ok though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    There are several Social Security offices.

• hollygb22hollygb22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You need a certified copy of your marrigage certificate.

i hit up SS in Warwick- it took me 20 minutes. From there I went to the registry in the old RI Mall. It took me an hour there. All I needed was the paperwork from SS. If you own your car, make sure you have your title as well.

All Credit Cards I did over the phone. My student loans required me to fax my marriage certificate.

I just did insurance maybe a month ago. I have yet to do my passport too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards