Rhode Island
Options

Favors - Do or Don't?

So I'm torn on whether or not to do favors. We originally wanted to do a donation but then was reading some of the blogs and I guess it's really a turn off to guests bc they may not like the charity of choice. We can't think of anything personal or meaningful. I just don't want to waste money on something silly. Some people say its just a waste of money. Thoughts?

Re: Favors - Do or Don't?

• Options
    DiLynn83DiLynn83 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    We're not doing favors - I find them to be just a waste of money.
  • Options
    I had the same thought especially after attending a wedding where 5 small favors were given out only for me to throw them away.  I decided to order pashmina's in navy blue, my wedding colors, and gave them to the female guest only.  It was a huge hit and the talk of the town afterwards.  It still warms my heart when a guest is out on the town and they are wearing the pashmina and comment how it was the best wedding favor they have ever received and they are wearing it a year after our wedding.
  • Options
    I could go either way on favors, our parents think it is necessary and a way to thank the guests.  We will likely opt for an edible small favor of sorts to keep the peace.  I very much dislike when we get cluttery favors at weddings, they eventually end up in the trash. 

I was surprised when I started reading about the negative feedback on donations, if it is a charity that is close to your heart than I think it is 100% appropriate.  I know it is controversial but I would rather that than a meaningless piece of junk. 

The pashmina idea is awesome as well!
  • Options
    i2012doi2012do member
    First Anniversary First Comment

Kath- where did you order the pashminas in bulk?

We aren't doing favors. I am having flip flops as "dancing shoes" and my mom insists to all high heavens that we have to have jordan almonds for guests becaues its not an "italian" wedding without them. So I am just putting them on the cake table in jars- in pink and white... (Our cake is going to be served to those seated and plated and on a table for everyone else)

www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • Options
    I think favors are really nice to have, but like PP said, they should be useful or edible, otherwise it's a waste. We had a wine themed wedding, so we alternated favors at each place setting: waiter's corkscrews engraved with our names and wedding date, and a starfish glass wine bottle stopper (since it was in Newport, killed two themese with one stone!). They were a HUGE hit! The stoppers are nice and useful, and who can't use an extra (and REALLY well made) waiter's corkscrew? I ordered both in bulk online.
    You could consider maybe doing cake pops or a small box of local chocolates, or salt water taffy in your wedding colors. I think it's really nice to have favors, but you definitely don't have to go all out.
    I've gotten many wedding and shower favors that I've just thrown away. They're cute b/c they match the theme, but generally not usable and just creates clutter.
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    I wasn't going to do favors but then I changed my mind. We are having a nautical wedding and I came up with the idea of salt water taffy for the favors. My soon to be FIL made us a baeutiful wooded box to look almost like a treasure chest that we are going to fill with the taffy. I got bags at Michaels and decorated them. If people want to take some home with them then they can if not then they don't have too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you want to do a donation then do it-I personally love the idea but honestly my opinion shouldn't matter, and those who get upset because it is not a charity that they like-for them I have no words.  If there are actually people out there who would get upset over you making a donation to a charity instead of giving them an extra piece of food/sweet treat or a throw away favor then you should take them off of your invite list.
  • Options
    I'm planning on going the donation route.  Both my fiance and I had a grandparent who suffered with Parkinson's disease, so we're doing a donation to Parkinson's research.  This is something meaningful to us and our families and we hope our guests will see it that way too (we're going to have a little sign with a picture of my gram and his grandfather). 
  • Options
    We are doing edible favors--whoppie pies (my FI's choice) and Gerbs Pumpkin Seeds --perfect for a fall wedding
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_favors-do-or-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:122Discussion:1f434c61-2471-431b-96c1-e645ad68c817Post:09620587-5ae8-479c-bfe6-3c85ffab8b78">Re: Favors - Do or Don't?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kath- where did you order the pashminas in bulk? We aren't doing favors. I am having flip flops as "dancing shoes" and my mom insists to all high heavens that we have to have jordan almonds for guests becaues its not an "italian" wedding without them. So I am just putting them on the cake table in jars- in pink and white... (Our cake is going to be served to those seated and plated and on a table for everyone else)
    Posted by i2012do[/QUOTE]

I purchased them at fashionunic.com  they have a huge selection.
  • Options
    We are doing swedish Fish to go with our beach theme for this July. I have been to weddings that donated to charities but they were all to a charity close to the bride and groom. I think it is a nice gesture.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I like the idea of a charity. I think I might lean this way also. My daughter was born with a heart defect and I would hope that anyone who attends our wedding comprehends the importance of that donation to myself and my FI.

Newport2013 what you said makes a very good point.
    Proud 36yr old Mama of 3, expecting #4 - 8yrs after #3 :)BabyFetus Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't do favors but I did have an open bar and a dessert bar to make up for it. I did have favor boxes for the kids but it was mostly to keep them busy during the reception. It worked...so many of them had their fingers stuck in the chinese finger traps and playing with the ikea finger puppets. 
  • Options
    I personally think favors are a do.  Even if it is something small like a few chocolates!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_favors-do-or-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:122Discussion:1f434c61-2471-431b-96c1-e645ad68c817Post:d4ee0763-89da-4521-8a50-e50a5af2206d">Re: Favors - Do or Don't?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm planning on going the donation route.  Both my fiance and I had a grandparent who suffered with Parkinson's disease, so we're doing a donation to Parkinson's research.  This is something meaningful to us and our families and we hope our guests will see it that way too (we're going to have a little sign with a picture of my gram and his grandfather). 
    Posted by Ven&Radio[/QUOTE]

This!  We did multiple 'favors' as we thought of it.  We donated to the American Cancer Society (FI has cancer) and gave everyone a little printout of all the people we've lost to cancer, who has survived and a thing about the best gift you can give is hope/time for the future.  We also had a Lindt chocolate on each place setting, we had a photobooth and a candy bar.  Now the true favor was the 1 chocolate and the donation, but people got to take a photo or candy home (if they so chose).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards