Rhode Island

Hair & Make up

Is anyone willing to share who did their hair and/or make up and how much it cost?  I've been searching and keep on finding recommendations for services that seem really expensive - make up especially.  $125 for make up seems kind of steep. I would prefer that they come to me, but would be willing to go to a salon if it's close by (getting married in Narragansett).  I feel like it's too early to start thinking about these things, but we'll be in the area in August to do engagement photos, so I was hoping to do a mini trial run (just get my hair done to see if I like them and possibly do a make up trial) since the only other time we're planning on traveling to RI for wedding related stuff is sometime this winter when we do our tasting.
Thanks!!

Re: Hair & Make up

• edited December 2011
    I agree with you - I looked into some of the popular options from these boards (who I'm sure do an amazing job but I couldn't fit into my budget).  I found a local salon, did a trial and LOVED the results - it was $65 for hair and $35 for make up which I found to be more reasonable.  I'm in northern RI but I bet there may be some girls on here who know some salons down in South County.
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Sam C - she is very popular on the board so I suggest inquiring and booking early. She charges $40 for hair and she does travel to you. As for make up, I used Sara Faella but her rates have increased although her glam squad charges $75 for HD make up, mineral or Air brush. I was fortunate to lock in her old rates and to purchase a wedding channel deal that allowed me to pay for my BM to get their make up done. 

• KBinRIKBinRI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kerri Parks of Skinplicity in East Greenwich did my makeup, but it sounds like her rates are higher than you want to pay. However, she did a great job and my skin looks flawless in my photos. Now that I've had several months to think and re-think things (haha) it was well worth it even though hair and makeup stretched my tiny budget. It was $40 for the trial and $70 for the day of. She traveled to Westport, Mass., where I was getting ready.

My regular hairdresser did my hair and I'd recommend her in a heartbeat if she wasn't on medical leave and getting ready to move to be closer to her family. But Sam C. always gets rave reviews!
    Kristen and Bryan ~ 10-10-10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I would also suggest Kerri Parks at Skinplicity.  I think her prices are reasonable compared to what's out there, and what you get.  She uses Youngblood makeup.  I had another trial (horrible) with a different MUA and I know Kerri was worth it.  Also, I think her prices are good for your BMs - that can add up quickly!  All the info is on the Skinplicity site.

I also used Sam C for hair. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the info.!  Sara's glam squad is now $100 for the bride. I will look into Skinplicity - $70 is definitely doable.  The $125 I mentioned earlier was for make up only!  Does anyone have contact info. for Sam C.?  Also, did anyone use Formal Hair Design?  Thanks for all your help!!
  • courtchacecourtchace member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im using Sara Faella for my hair/makeup and glam squad for the BM's but her prices just went up and of course I just missed locking her in at the old prices so I am paying the new ones. : (

I also looked into Kristen Greene, although she may be on the higher end as well.
    http://kristingreene.net/
  • edited December 2011
    Sam's email is feinsteindanceacademy@yahoo.com. Her hair business is an on the side kind of thing so she doesn't have a formal website. She does take a little while to get back to you initially but she will reply! I hired her to do my hair and as well as my bridesmaids' hair and she was amazing!

Kristin Greene is on the higher end relative to some of the others mentioned here, but I really think she's worth every penny. I have problem skin with scarring and my skin looked essentially flawless in my photos. I couldn't have been happier with her work.
  • edited December 2011
    My other thought would be to check out the Robert Anthony Salon off route 108 and Spa Mosaic in South County Commons on Rt. 1. I used to have my hair done at Robert Anthony and they often had bridal parties in on Saturdays.
  • edited December 2011
    My bridal party & I are getting our hair & makeup done at Spa Mosaic.  The prices are reasonable, but you do have to go there.  Originally I wanted someone to come to me but it just wasn't in the budget (and, kind of surprisingly, those that could have been in the budget never called me back so I assumed they were booked). 

My wedding is in Sept. and I have a trial set for August, so I'll let you know how it goes!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lindquistx33lindquistx33 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    125 is VERY high, Christine Hale with the Look image group does hair for 75$ and air brush makeup for $75 so you can get both your hair and makeup done with her for $150, and she is AMAZING and she comes to wherever you and your bridesmaids are getting ready for the wedding. It really is an amazing deal, because most companies charge $225 alone for the airbrush makeup.

Give her a call 508-243-6564
    She books up fast so I would call her when you can because you dont want to miss out!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dribblejackdribblejack member
    edited December 2011
    If you can't travel to Cranston & Providence during your trip, it might even be affordable to have these ladies come to your hotel for a trial...

Makeup: Jill DeGiglio in Cranston.  401-374-2733.  She wanted to go more dramatic than I did but she totally listened to my request for a more natural look at our trial (& it's only because she's knowledgeable about what shows up in pics, etc.)

Hair: Laurie Lemay at Moss salon in Providence.  She's also bringing Kelly from the same salon.
  • DiorAddictDiorAddict member
    edited December 2011
    Sara Rebello - Hair
    Jan Simone - Makeup
    Both are great and reasonable and they travel to you.
  • blondy1knkblondy1knk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would highly recommend jennie kay.  She has done many brides, commercials, magizines. She just did my sister hair and makeup for her wedding in july and 9 bridesmaid. She is amazing.  I choose her for my wedding in Newport RI in summer of 2012.  Go to jenniekaybeauty.com or facebook page jenniekayparlour.com. 
  • blondy1knkblondy1knk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    www.imdb.com/name/nm2436908/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards