Rhode Island

Budget Wedding in Newport???

Hi Ladies,

My fiance and I are getting married in 2014 and we are in LOVE with Newport, RI!  I'm orignally from southern Rhode Island and would love to my wedding back in the place that I called home.  We have a guest list that's roughly 100 people and a budget of about $17k (for the ENTIRE event, all venders, food, etc).  Any ideas or suggestions/personal experiences?  Thanks!

Re: Budget Wedding in Newport???

• Hello~ Easton Beach Rotunda is a budget friendly venue. I planned a wedding for close to 200 people for 24k. I think 17k is doable for 100 people. I would definitely check out Atlanta Beach Club and Regatta Place in Newport, they have affordable packages with catering included (biggest part of the budget). Fridays and Sundays are also less expensive than a Saturday night wedding. 

• edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_budget-wedding-in-newport?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:3dfb66d7-f764-45f5-b401-913f2e2c80faPost:4fd0687f-8a6e-4dbe-a39a-a62fef612da4">Budget Wedding in Newport???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Ladies, My fiance and I are getting married in 2014 and we are in LOVE with Newport, RI!  I'm orignally from southern Rhode Island and would love to my wedding back in the place that I called home.  We have a guest list that's roughly 100 people and a budget of about $17k (for the ENTIRE event, all venders, food, etc).  Any ideas or suggestions/personal experiences?  Thanks!
    Posted by bopple321[/QUOTE]

<div>Second ABC.</div><div>
    </div><div>Keep in mind, almost everything here is two night minimum stays, which is something your guests should probably be made aware of, though it's a lot cheaper to stay in Middletown.</div><div>
    </div><div>I've only lived here two years, but I know someone mentioned getting married out here at Brenton Point for a nominal fee (nominal for Newport, at least).  But that's just the ceremony, of course.  If you did a wedding earlier in the day, you could probably do Castle Hill Inn for the reception, but it would price out of your budget at night.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you're having a church wedding, I do know that most places require you to be a parishioner and there's maybe one or two that don't that cost about a thousand.</div><div>
    </div><div>To save money, I wouldn't do it between Memorial and Labor Day (not to mention, the traffic is a headache anyways).  Also, I'd look at vendors (cake, flowers, etc) outside of Newport.  There are a lot of great wedding shops in East Greenwich and Bristol.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm not sure where you're from, but I do know there are a few oceanfront venues that are much cheaper than Newport over towards Westerly and Narragansett. </div>
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited January 2013
    I am looking too! I am from PA, but my entire family lives in RI. 

Here are the venues I am taking a look at 

• My wedding budget is less than yours, and I am also using Easton's Beach Rotunda. I'm also getting married on a Sunday night, so that cut the venue price in half! It's a great price for what looks like a great spot :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_budget-wedding-in-newport?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:3dfb66d7-f764-45f5-b401-913f2e2c80faPost:e4ae03d2-c1f5-4f3b-822f-21e48f0f79e8">Re: Budget Wedding in Newport???</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding budget is less than yours, and I am also using Easton's Beach Rotunda. I'm also getting married on a Sunday night, so that cut the venue price in half! It's a great price for what looks like a great spot :)
    Posted by maddynamite[/QUOTE]

Can I ask, what is the contact person/info for the Rotunda?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_budget-wedding-in-newport?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:122Discussion:3dfb66d7-f764-45f5-b401-913f2e2c80faPost:82d247ed-8442-4c42-ab4e-ee55b784323b">Re: Budget Wedding in Newport???</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budget Wedding in Newport??? : Can I ask, what is the contact person/info for the Rotunda?
    Posted by bopple321[/QUOTE]

Sure! Erik Reis is the beach manger/recreation supervisor. His email is <a href="mailto:ereis@cityofnewport.com" rel="nofollow">ereis@cityofnewport.com</a>. He almost never answers his phone, so I find email is the best way to get in touch with him :)

Good luck!
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I got married on a Sunday night on Memorial Day Weekend at Easton Beach Rotunda. My guests stayed 1 night at the Courtyard Inn in Middletown (we had a room block for 20 people). It was 10 minutes from Easton Beach. 

Also I forgot to mention The International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport. The pricing was reasonable for Newport compared to other venues in the area. I also suggest checking out Newport Art Museum for indoor photography, indoor ceremony and small receptions.

My budget breakdown which is unique because I had the added expense of two ceremonies but it should give brides an idea. 

• We got married at Newport Beach Hotel and Suites. It is right across from the ABC club. It was a November wedding so no minimum night stay. We got to customize our menu and we negotiated our open bar cost. With a 90 minute cocktail hour followed by a 4 hour reception for 120 people we paid 15,000.
  • How was your experience there?
  • In Response to Re:Budget Wedding in Newport???:[QUOTE]How was your experience there? Posted by Jennjoe14[/QUOTE]

It went well. We met with Lyle who runs the receptions and is also the chef. They were very accommodating. We had one problem dealing with accommodations, but that was because we got married the weekend after Hurricane Sandy and not the fault of the hotel. It was also fixed immediately.
  • Like the others have said, if you're on a budget the timing is #1 to get deals.  Go for an "off time" like a Sunday night, or even a Friday night, for lower costs than a Saturday wedding.  Also, season is huge especially in Newport.  Someone mentioned not doing it between memorial and labor day--I second that!  You can do either earlier in May or later in September and get a huge savings over summer months.  Plus, also check to see what is going on in Newport for the dates you are considering.  When they have music festivals and things like that it is a complete nightmare to be in Newport--just getting there and then trying to find parking is ridiculous!  So try to plan around things like that to avoid headaches.  :)
  • I always say, consider a food truck if you want to save money on catering! It is also a fun and memorable experience for guests. Try providencefoodtrucks.com to book trucks. :)
  • Love the idea of a food truck!! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards