Rhode Island

ballards on block island?

Hi..
My fiance and i are from ct so i usally post there.
Anyway.. we were going to have our very small wedding at a hotel on the beach in ct, but i came across this place called ballards on block island and was wondering if anyone can give me a review about it? we want to have our wedding this summer its only about 20 people. And i thought it would be kind of fun to "get away" and do it. we were orginally going to have a destination wedding in jamica but because of hard times on the family we aren't.
Anyway! The price looks rediculously cheap.. unless im missing something but it isnt exactly the easiest place to get to to check out. Is anyone havinv a wedding there? Every been to one? We want to do the whole thing outside on the beach.
Thanks!!!!

Re: ballards on block island?

• Hi there! I'm from CT as well and am currently trying to plan a wedding in RI. I originally wanted BI but there are a lot of restrictions such as minimum night stays, noise ordinances, etc. I've been going to block island for about 20 years now and have stayed at Ballards a few times. They recently renovated the hotel and it is very pretty, BUT this is the party place for all tourists. Ballards is where the ferry pulls in so many people choose their beach as the place to park themselves for the day. There's always a live band there and lots of young, drunk people partying on the beach. I love Ballards, but I wouldn't want it for a private affair like my wedding. There are several other places in BI like the Spring House, the Sullivan House, and I think a couple of mansions you may want to look into. I hope this helps!!
  • Ballards for a wedding.  Hmmmm...  

Think "Frat House on the Beach" and that pretty much sums up Ballards!

Here's a link to the BI Tourism Council "weddings" page:  

Best wishes!

• i2012doi2012do member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I third everything everyone else said. WhenI was in college we used to go to Ballards all the time for Greek Week and Senior week, etc. It was inexpensive to rent out for us, and the food was basically burgers nad hot dogs cafeteria style.

I haven't been back since they made renovations so I can't attest to it, but the inside of ballard-s which is what I assume what you would rent used to be kind of an old wood bar, and a indoor outdoor dining location with long tables to sit at. I'm not sure what kind of wedding style you have, so if you want a fun outdoor vibe with family style tables, and a casual vibe it might work.

if you are looking for soomething completely different, I would head to the locations above that are recommended.

fiance and I also wanted to have our wedding in block island because we love it there- but we settled for narragansett and are heading to block island a few days before the wedding w family!
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • We're having our welcome recpetion at Ballards and while I will attest that I've partied many a nights there, they did recently overhaul the place and its beautiful inside and out. And yes, it is cheap. We're getting a great deal on food and drinks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards