Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

What to do with the rings?

We are having a very small intimate wedding with just our immediate family and my fiance's daughter (she's 16) as a bridesmaid.  The wedding will be outside in a garden  - there's not really an aisle and will be no ring bearer or anything. What should we do with the rings? Should my fiance keep them in his pocket? give them to the officiant ? have his daughter hold them - maybe tie them to the bouquet?? have my fiance's dad hold them in a pretty box until its time?  Seems like a trivial thing but its bugging me from a logistics standpoint.  Also, I know the wedding band goes on before the engagement ring - should I keep my ring off and have my fiance put them both on during the ceremony?

Re: What to do with the rings?

• I have seen brides slyly take their engagement ring off before the wedding ring part and then slide it on afterward.  I've also see brides take the engagement ring off and put it in the box with the wedding band (to put both on together).  I think whatever works for you.

One of my friends just put the wedding band on in front of the engagement ring, and then switched it after the ceremony.

• We had H's BM hold the rings, but in your case, you could have your FIs daugther hold them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • We had a Best Man who held our rings initially.  When it was time to exchange rings, BM handed them to the officiant who then handed each ring to H and me.  At first we were going to have the BM hold my ring and my MOH hold H's ring, but we realized that since MOH was going to be holding her bouquet as well as my bouquet, jugging a ring would be a bit difficult.  So it's really up to you.  Whatever you choose will be fine.

And whatever you do as far as wearing your rings is fine too.  Some brides put their engagement ring on their right hand for the ceremony and switch it to their left later.  I wore my engagement ring on my left hand (since I have another valuable ring I wear on my right ring finger) and H put my wedding ring over it.  I switched the order before pictures started.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • If his daughter is the only attendant, she should hold the rings. Typically the MOH and Best Man hang on to the groom's and bride's rings respectively until they are needed. Then the MOH hands the bride the groom's ring to put on him and vice versa.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_rings-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:74248b55-a56b-4b29-a214-072410096817Post:25415f42-4bf7-4db4-b413-de60127be00d">What to do with the rings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having a very small intimate wedding with just our immediate family and my fiance's daughter (she's 16) as a bridesmaid.  The wedding will be outside in a garden  - there's not really an aisle and will be no ring bearer or anything. What should we do with the rings? <strong>Should my fiance keep them in his pocket? give them to the officiant ? have his daughter hold them - maybe tie them to the bouquet?? have my fiance's dad hold them in a pretty box until its time?</strong>  Seems like a trivial thing but its bugging me from a logistics standpoint.  Also, I know the wedding band goes on before the engagement ring - should I keep my ring off and have my fiance put them both on during the ceremony?
    Posted by timsflower81[/QUOTE]

Any of those options are fine.  Just pick which one you'd like to do!  We had two best men in our wedding.  The "first" best man gave a toast at the reception, so we had our "second" best man hold the rings.

Some women will just wear their engagement ring on their right hand for the wedding ceremony.  Others will just leave it on their left hand and switch the rings around later.  I had my rings soldered together before the wedding, so I didn't wear any rings during the ceremony until the best man gave them to our officiant, and my H put them on my finger. 

There is no right or wrong way to do it, so don't stress!  :)
    panther
  • I think it would be a really sweet touch to involve FI's daughter in the ceremony by holding your rings.
    Anniversary
  • Our best man held the wedding bands.  As I stood at the alter, I shifted my engagement ring from my left hand to my right hand.
  • I think it's fine to give them to the 16-year-old to hold during the ceremony, but I wouldn't tie them into the bouquet.  Getting them untied could be a pain, they could fall and be hard to find.....I've seen this go badly before with rings tied onto ring bearer pillows.

She can either hold them in her hand or slip the rings over one of her fingers (like her pinky finger or index finger), especially if it's gong to be a short ceremony.
    DSC_9275
  • I like the idea of having the MOH hold the rings.  Our officiant carried ours since she was going to pass them around and initiate a ring warming.

I didn't wear my e-ring during the ceremony.  After DH put the wedding band on my finger, she had another line about placing the e-ring on top of the band so that what brought us together would also protect our marriage.  I thought it was a beautiful touch.
  • Thank you for all the suggestions.... I think I'll have FI's daughter hold them and she can hand them to the officiant.  I definitely want my e-ring in the ceremony pictures so I think I'll just swap the order after the ceremony!   Thanks everyone!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards