Rhode Island
Options

Vendor Reviews- Part 2

. I wasn't sure anyone read the first ones but I got a few emails in regards to vendors so I know there are def. some lurkers taking notice :)

Part 2 Vendor Reviews:

Invites: The Paper Perfectionist
I found Valerie while browsing facebook and met with her regarding our wedding invites. Valerie was really responsive to get back to me and showed me hundreds of custom designed samples that she had created. She is not only really talented but a great person as well. She was able to custom design a pocketfold, diecut invitiation that not only impressed my guests- but was just what I had envisioned. I even heard from another acquaintance that said a friend of hers saw our invite on someone's fridge and that she absolutely had to contact the woman who made our invites! It was such a compliment!

We ended up doing the programs ourselves because of timing but Val also does awesome diecut programs that I was drooling over.
She is super sweet and nice and very accomodating, especially through multiple rounds of edits!

I highly recommend the paper perfectionist. You can find her stuff on facebook.

Flowers: Golden Gate Studios
Jay and his team can do amazing things! I kept hearing about Jay from friends that had used him and from other vendors. hen I met with him I was a little taken aback, he talks and listens and talks and listens and writes and seems to know everything that you are thinking of before you even say it. He won my mom over in the first few minutes.

I had also met with a few other florists, some were more expensive and some were less expensive but for the amount of flowers we received and the Quality of the flowers- jay seemed to be the best value all around.

On my second meeting I met with Naomi, and I wanted to make lots of changes to the original sample (I also liked that I got to see a sample). She kind of knew the direction I was going in, disappeared into the back and 10 minutes later came out with a centerpiece I had envisioned. IT was beautiful!

When I received my flowers I was shocked, they were beauitful. There were a few things that weren't as I originally stated (the ribbon tie was different etc) but in actuality the things that were changed actually LOOKED better so I think they changed them to make a professional decision since they are the pros that do this all the time. I think the cahnges were intentional and I actually loved the finished products more than I could have imagined.

My bouquet was beautiful and I received many compliments on it. The bridesmaids bouquets were even larger than I imagined they would be, which was a good thing.

When I walked up in the reception venue for the first time I almost cried. It looked like a fantasy. With all the hanging votives and sparkles and candles. At night, the tables light up from the candlelight making the centerpieces even more amazing.

I love love loved the flowers! Thanks Jay! Thanks Naomi

Ceremony Reception: The Towers

Yes. Kate vivian is nearly impossible to get a hold of- NO, do not let this deter your from having your wedding reception there. All of my guests were floored at how beautiful it was outsideand upstairs. Granted I got great weather, but it was a little warm- and contrary to my fears it was NOT at all hot up in the towers. I looked around and everyone was looking out the windows. People loved the deck, and my girlfriend and her husband were even dancing out there, it was adorable. Thanks Kira (:)) for all your help.
At one point when I had asked a waiter twice to fix a table cloth, I asked Kira and it was done ina minute.
I don't know how much the caterer or the other vendors used the point people at the Towers but I didn't make use of them much- just because i could ask my coordinator.
but it was nice to know they were there

Everything was clean and ready for use. The view was stunning and it was a nice layout, especially for our size (we had 110 guests).

The ONLY thing i didn't like is that i had read in another review that they flicked the lights at the end of the night and i SPECIFICALLY asked this not be done (its not a high school dance) and it happened. I looked at the woman and was pissed and said "we aren't children we are leaving" at that point the only people left were immediate family (my brother, and sister etc)...and the bridal party, plus the planner cleaning up. So we were just figuring out who was going to pick up the extra items etc and talking it out- there weren't any guests left. I would have been totoally embarassed if there were guests left.

Other than that, everything worked out perfectly, the bridal suite was great to have to cool off in (i was the only hot one because i had a huge ballgown on and heels all night!)
and it provided a quiet place for my husband and i to spend a few minutes before going to the cocktail hour!

Since my wedding I have already recieved two emails from facquaintances that have booked their wedding at the towers after seeing the photos- so that can attest to how beautiful it really was.

DJ- Victor Events
There isn't much to say about Victor that hundreds of posters haven't already covered.
He was recommended to me by the girls on here. Though all my planning whenever I
mentioned to another vendor or someone that knew of Victor and said I had booked him for my wedding they said "you are in good hands" and they were right.

What impressed me the most about him was his ability on the night of the wedding to keep things running smoothly even when things were totally hectic. There was a time during the reception when I realized I had yet to cut the cake or dance and it was getting late. I frantically went up to our wedding coordinator and things were shuffled around so that this could be done. Victor hopped in to let me know I could cut the cake, I just had to give people 5 minutes to get everything in order and make sure that guests "were ready". He suggested a great song for the cake cutting and everything went smoothly.

After that we hit the dance floor for the rest of the night...
No one knew of the mad dash rush i put on all the vendors to get the night "moving" along.

I had multiple people come up to me at the wedding and after raving about the DJ. A hard to impress friend that is a DJ himself and my uncle who is a lifelong musician and preformer both complimented Victor's professionalism and ability to read the crowd and keep everyone happy and dancing from my college roomates to my husband's great-grandmother. (it was hard to get her off the dance floor)

Everything else he set up looked great. From the DJ table to the lighting- everything came together to create a really sleek and polished look.

Victor was not only a vendor during my 2 year wedding planning he was also a confident and I trusted him for reviews and advice during my planning.

DOC EK Event Designs
Erica did an amazing job as a coordinator. I spoke to her a few times at length before the wedding and we met a few weeks before to go over the details. She was especially helpful in getting the rehearsal set up and running it since our officiants didn't come to the rehearsal (we knew this in advance). She was willing to play the "bad guy" to make sure people paid attention etc.On the day of the wedding I am SO glad that she was there with her assistant Jess. They organized all the things I thought I would have time to do.
Like putitng out refreshments and champagne  and bagels etc on the morning of (I intended to do this and then had NO time). They helped me get into my dress and Jess even took our video camera and filmed parts of our ceremony and reception- which was awesome to save in retrospect (because i regret not having someone doing video).
They were an invalueable resource and I would recommend them to anyone (i already have)

Catering- Blackstone
We used blackstone becuase of all the awesome reviews they get online and because we really loved htem when we met with them. We didn't feel like we were getting nickled and dimed like we were with another local caterer  and Danielle- our coordinator was super accomodating and great. Danielle was actually one of my favorite vendors! She never acted like my emails were annoying (and believe me i sent her a lot of emails) and she was always very accomodating. Infact, I think she always said "yes" and never no. Including when 3 days befor ethe wedding I asked her to switch one of the beer selections...

The cocktail hour was awesome. We got to attned for about 20 minutes and everyone was saying how full they were, that they were stuffed and the food was amazing. We had some food brought up to our bridal suite (though, all they brought was seafood stuff and my husband doesnt eat seafood, but thats ok! more for me!!) and it was really good! everything was just as it had been at the tasting.

I loved the coffee station that they set up. I didn't realize it was going to look so nice. In fact, everything looked really really nice-- including the cheese table. which was decorated with lanterns etc (i only saw it from out the window I never even got near it at cocktail hour to look)
We only had a few minor issues during the entire experience. After the fact I found out from two vendors that they never ate because there weren't enough vendor meals and so they ate some caprese salads that some of my guests didn't want (i felt liek the cheese table that was half eaten should have been put onto a tray and offered to the vendors during their break or something if there wasn't food)  and personally, I felt like the schedule was running far behind the entire night (though after speaking to friends this happens to everyone I guess), but it wasn't anything anyone noticed except for me (see my review on Victor above)

The set up from the bar to the tables was great. They even set up all the chargers that we had bought and supplied and went out of their way to make it all perfect. The head table was missing a chair and it was promptly addressed and fixed so that no one was inconvienced.
I really think of the entire night, the cocktail hour was the showcase, i felt like they stepped up to their reputation on that. One of my friends said she dropped her clam cake on the ground and 2 minutes later she turned around and a waiter was standing there with a tray and 4 clamcakes on it since he noticed she dropped it- that is service!

It seemed that after Danielle left some things kind of were a bit chaotic and I kind of wish she stayed until dinner started but I think I was the one to tell her she was all set to leave leave (she was my security blankie). I would hands down recommend them again in a second. However, I'd probably be a bit more specific and chat with the coordinator who took over that day to tell them how i wanted to things to run for 5 minutes just to be sure we were all on the same page.

Cake- Bakery Boutique
We got our cake from BB after we had used them for my mom's 60th bday cake and everyone raved about the cake. We had pink champagne, and lemon chiffon cake. I like that they give you an anniversary cake instead of freezing the topper- but I never relayed this information to the caterer so they saved the topper anyway. There were a few hiccups  but Deana was very apologetic and nice to make it up to us when we returned from our honeymoon! Everyone said that the cake was awesome and super delicious!

Re: Vendor Reviews- Part 2

• Options
    Eeek! Thats the first I have read about the Towers light flicking at the end of the night :( I hope they stop doing that...soon.
  • Options
    I would just ask them not to do it when you arrive. I didn't do that and wish I did. I was glad it was just BP and close family left!
  • Options
    I hate to ask and DO NOT want to be rude but do you know how much your cake was? I am looking for a baker around that area that is the only reason I ask.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

that's ok I don't mind sharing if it helps others. Our cake only served 75 plus we had another round cake in the back for extra. It came to just over $650. But please keep in mind this was 2011 pricing and prices fluctuate for all bakeries depending on design/flavors etc.

• Options
    I can't wait to see the pictures! I'm glad to hear you had such a beautiful day! Congrats again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards