Rhode Island

usa today feature article

my fiance and i were featured in an artcile about long engagments.I thought it was a nice light hearted article but its getting a lot of flack-which is annoying. But anyway-= its up today:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/wellness/story/2012-04-24/long-engagement-couples/54538912/1
www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image

Re: usa today feature article

• Where is getting flack?  I thought it was a great article!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • on the comments on the bottom!!People are saying the article is stupid and people are obsessed w weddings vs a marriage- etc.

• Those people have NO idea what it's like to think about all the logistics (the true, nitty gritty logistics like locations of family; not the petty stuff [the party, etc.]which we know we all admittedly think about but at the end of the day doesn't play nearly as significant of a role) that come into determining the when, where, what, and how of a modern wedding.  

Sure, some people throw on a vintage dress, head to the courthouse, and call it a day.  But that's not for everybody (AND, I'll point out, that many of the people who have those sorts of ceremonies often talk about holding a big party after the fact to celebrate with family and friends).  It's not about what the party is; at the heart of every wedding, big/small, fancy/not, expensive/on-a-shoestring, is the two people coming together and all the people (whether few or many) who are important to each of them.   And let's face it, it's not 1950 anymore-  families no longer grow up and stay in the same towns; jobs, schools, and life itself scatters us all around the country and world.  Which makes it harder to say, hey everyone come on over after the wedding!  Bring a plate and we'll all share.  Yeah...most people now travel an average of XXX miles for weddings, which is a point all those nay-sayer commenters have failed to point out.  When families now go for months, sometimes even years, from getting to see each other- is it any wonder we want to throw a big party when they're coming all that way to celebrate you marrying the love of your life???  

Congrats on getting quoted Jenn; and congrats on waiting and planning the most perfect, beautiful, wonderful day for YOU and your almost-husband (not for other people who do not live your life and have your values or priorities)!!! : )
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think that's great that you were mentioned and quoted in the article!! The people complaining just needed something to complain about.  Waiting to get married and have the wedding you want and can afford makes much more sense then going into a debt for a wedding or not being able to invite everyone you want there.  With so many out of state guests, I'm sure they appreciate you having a longer engagement allowing them to save so they can attend.  If you plan to be with you FI forever, then what's the big deal in taking an extra year or two or five to get married?
  • I thought it was a good article.  I didn't go through the comments. For what it's worth, when we get married next September, we will have had our 7 year anniversary in July, and our six years being engaged.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah there were quite a few negative comments. I had to put my two cents in there. These people have absolutely no idea! It is ONE DAY but it is one of the most important day of your life. 
  • edited April 2012
    Wow, some of the comments were so rude and narrow-minded. People can be ignorant in regards to logistics. My fiance and I have been engaged for a year and a half at this point and we won't be getting married until the summer of 2013. We've been in a long distance relationship for the entire duration of our engagement and most of his family lives in the midwest. Planning a wedding is stressful for almost every bride, but the difficulty becomes even further intensified when distance is involved. It would have been unfair of us to have a brief engagement when my fiance's family (and a number of members of my own family) will be traveling from throughout the country. For those guests, the wedding trip will double as a vacation, and it takes time and financial resources to plan and prepare for something like that. Economic factors also played a role in our decision, because we knew that we could minimize our debt and have more funds available for the wedding if we waited. If some people find that to be silly, then fine; but to me, it's responsible-- and it was the best option.

Ultimately, I believe that it is definitely all worth the wait. As RoyalOrient mentioned, a wedding is one of the most important days of your life-- and hopefully it will be the only (or last) time you will ever get married. It should be memorable, unique, and incredibly special to the two of you as a couple. My fiance and I have been pressured by a few people to just elope or have a very simplistic wedding to make things easier, but I, personally, would always regret it if we did that. Try not to let naysayers bother you-- they don't have to walk in your shoes, and in the end, it's only your wedding day and you should be totally ecstatic and content with your choices.
  • I totally agree with you CHF!
    A big trend now is creating a unqiue and personalized wedding too, which takes a lot of time and enegry to execute!

And I agree I tink tis responsible if you want to haev a wedding to have either the wedding you can afford or wait until you can afford the wedding you want!!

The long distance relatives things was our primary reason for waiting, beinf able to save and splurge in some other places was  a cavet

I have to say i ahve been addicted to following this columm all day yesterday and reading all the comments- its so interesting!
  • :( i can't see any comments when i click on the article!  maybe it's just my work...grrr
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards