Rhode Island

Dress Sizes!

Hi Ladies,

I have two appointments on Saturday to try on dresses.  Can anyone tell me what sizes they typically carry for brides to try on at specific stores? I am going to Ana's and Helene's Saturday, but any info on majority of sizes at any RI store would be helpful.

Re: Dress Sizes!

• RIFallBrideRIFallBride member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I found them to mostly be size 12 but they work magic to make them fit anyone. The dresses are often stretched too but they know how to clip them if needed. I didn't go to those shops so I am sure other girls will chime in. Have fun!

ETA:  Also wedding dress sizing is all over the place, it is not vanity sizing like most department stores so my recommendation is to just ignore the size.  A good shop should be able to fit any dress to you. 
  • The sizes they normally carry are anywhere from size 8 to size 12. I've heard great things about Helene's, but as far as Ana's (I used them for my gown, my fmil, and all my bridesmaids), this was one of the places that made me wish that I had gone somewhere else. Dress shopping should be fun or somewhat fun, but it was stressful. First, they offered me 15% off, but when I came back the next day, the girl said that she will only give me 10%, because the original discount was suppose to be one day only. Okay, no big deal. My fmil was with me and found her dress there. It was a little tight, and at that time, she had 7 months to go before my wedding. The lady told her that there was at least a size to alter it to be bigger.She lost weight, but still wanted a little more room. When she went somewhere to get her dress fitted, the man said there was very little room to make bigger...so they exagerated. I picked out my girls' dresses and a deadline that would give them all at least 2 months to get alterations. I received a phonecall from Ana's that the girls should order right away (2 weeks before my orginal deadline for them) so it wont be coming in late due to holidays. Wouldn't they have told me before? I asked them to not bother my girls and they will be in by the deadline I gave them (btw, their dresses came in over 2 months early). Finally, I ordered a blusher with veil, and when I asked they had to go find it. I had asked for a bridesmaid dress swatch and they didn't have it for me. She had to cut the inside of one of the girl's dresses. Sorry for long post, but just wanted to help other brides have a good shopping experience.
  • I didn't go to either one of those shops, I ended up buying my gown from Alfred Angelo and they have sizing pretty much everywhere from a size 4-22 and they have clips. Like PP suggested don't be discouraged when they chose a dress that isn't your normal size. Wedding Gowns are completely different than department stores and you typically go up automatically.
    Have fun!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I got my dress from Ana's and had a good experience the day i tried on dressed with them and they had a variety of sizes to try on.  Don't be discouraged.  Although, i did have some challenges setting up appointments for my fittings, although I am also living out of state which made things difficult.  Have fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards