Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Wedding Song a 10-year-old could sing?

My 9-year-old cousin is a fabulous singer for her age and I really want her to sing in my wedding next year (she'll have just turned 10).  I'd like her to sing during the ceremony, maybe during communion or a unity candle act.  I'd like a list of songs that are wedding-appropriate, and also something that a 10-year-old would understand and be able to sing from the heart.

I'm interested in:

Religious songs good for communion during a wedding (we're both Christian Protestants)

--or--

Love songs, maybe in the third person, without any references to sex, even like the slight reference in "Maybe I'm Amazed" where it says "it feels like the first time every time," since she's 10.

Re: Wedding Song a 10-year-old could sing?

• Options
    Are you getting married in a church? If so, talk to the music director - they will have ideas for things that are appropriate for that age/your denomination. I'm a singer but the only thing I've done in a wedding with children that young were short psalms/responses or full choral arrangements. Ave Maria is a traditional idea if she can handle it (there are two versions, a Schubert and a Bach/Gounoud); the Irish Blessing by John Rutter is gorgeous and I've seen arrangements for young singers.  

Another idea - what about picking out a hymn that you like?

• Options
    I think that's a lot of pressure for a young child who perhaps has never sung a solo in public...especially if the idea isn't coming from her.  If she truly wants to, I would go with Somewhere Over the Rainbow, which is easy to sing and accompany. Both the Ave Marias are gorgeous, but I've heard plenty of adults who couldn't handle them. Definitely get her some sort of accompaniment to help her stay on key and beef it up if she gets nervous.
  • Options
    I think it's a lot of pressure to ask any friend or relative to sing at a wedding.  And I think asking a 10 year old to sing at your wedding is over the line.  Just have her be a guest. 
  • Options
    I guess I should mention that this 10-year-old puts on "concerts" every time we visit her, usually two or three each day we're there, and absolutely loves performing.  She's sang solos on several occasions for her school, church, etc.  I definitely planned on having accompaniment and asking her mother (my aunt) if she'd be interested before I asked her.

thanks for the hymn idea, Geaux, I'll definitely try and think of one.
  • Options
    I'd stick with a hymn or common piece to keep it easy and have accompaniment backup on the piano (organ might be too overpowering for her).  Some ideas:
    - Ave Maria
    - For the Beauty of the Earth
    - The Lord's Prayer (many arrangements are available)
    - Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring
    - A New Commandment
    - Panis Angelicus
    - The Lord is my Shepherd (again, many arrangements)

Does she take voice lessons or sing in a choir?  Could you ask her what she knows that would be suitable?  If she knows the piece already it would probably be easiest for her instead of trying to learn something new that you pick.
  • Options
    She didn't ask if she should ladies-- she asked what songs the little girl should sing. I think it is a cute idea and no different then me asking my niece to read a psalm at my wedding. I am assuming that if this girl sings well, then she has sung in public before.

I like the song song "You light up my life"

YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE (Debbie Boone)

So many nights I sit by my window
    Waiting for someone to sing me his song
    So many dreams I kept deep inside me
    Alone in the dark but now
    You've come along

You light up my life
    You give me hope
    To carry on
    You light up my days
    and fill my nights with song

Rollin' at sea, adrift on the water
    Could it be finally I'm turning for home?
    Finally, a chance to say hey,
    I love You
    Never again to be all alone

You light up my life
    You give me hope
    To carry on
    You light up my days

You light up my life
    You give me hope
    To carry on
    You light up my days

It can't be wrong
    When it feels so right
    'Cause You
    You light up my life

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    How about "What a Wonderful World"?

• Options
    I would check what songs she already knows and loves or maybe some really pretty Disney song since she might know them for example my class one sang part of "you'll be in my heart" and it was awesome. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    "The Wedding Song"

It's sweet to hear and pretty much ageless.

I'm not so sure about a 10 year old performing though.  If she's been singing in public, it may not be a problem
  • Options
    I didn't think of "What a Wonderful World."  I will definitely ask her if she can think of a Disney song that would be good, but yes, I don't really want her declaring her love on the stage.

Thanks for the actual song advice, everyone, and lilcassers, thanks for the defense.
  • Options
    I really like "With A Smile and a Song" from Disney's "Snow White". The lyrics are just happy-happy-happy, and appropriate for any age.

If you go with a church piece, I'm going to say unless your cousin is Jackie Evancho, "Ave Maria" is probably not a good choice. It's a gorgeous song, but like PP said, even trained adults have a hard time with that one.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I used to sing probably 10 times a year at weddings when I was younger, and those were people I didn't know.  Because you are family, and she does little performances for you when you are over I am sure she would be overjoyed.  I would let her pick though, but I would give her a list of songs she would know. Disney, or talk to her vocal coach and see if she can give you a few suggestions.  Go online and google Aladdin love songs or something in that sort. Pick your top 5, give her the list and let her pick the final. Then she will feel even more like she is a part of your wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    "there is love" (sometimes called the wedding song)

it is perennially popular. 

youtube link:

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards