Rhode Island

Multi Room Wedding Reception Advice

Hi Ladies!!

My FH and I started our Reception Venue search this weekend and have shortened our list to 2 venues, the one I love love love is beautiful but has a different layout than most reception venues and our guests would be split over 3 rooms and a patio, has anyone had a similar setup or know of anyone that has? Did it work or were guests unhappy? The venue tells us many people do it but we're getting some pushback from FH family in that they wouldnt be able to see us during dinner.  It would only be during the dinner that guests would be split into the different rooms and then hopefully after that people will make their way down to the dance area. Any help would be wonderful - my head is spinning!!
?Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairytale?

Re: Multi Room Wedding Reception Advice

• edited December 2011
    I just got married at Glen Manor and the guests are split among two rooms for dinner and then there is a third room for dancing. I didn't hear any complaints from guests about the arrangement. There is also a huge outdoor area at the Glen. I think my guests really liked all the different areas and the ability to explore the property. It made things a little more diffiult for me to talk to everyone but it wasn't really a big deal. If you really love the venue I would just go for it. Its not like you sit down for very long during dinner anyways.
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds like either Glen Manor and Aldrich Mansion. As a guest, I did not love being split up from the rest of the wedding. At one, the bride and groom had salad in one room, then dinner in the other so that both sides could see them for a while. Maybe that would work if you go that route. Seemed a little hectic on their part, though. GL with your choice!
  • pruemunropruemunro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Argh I think I just lost my reply!

Sorry ladies, hopefully this one comes through... you're absolutely right, we're looking at Glen Manor, I love the property its just beautiful and I love the outdoor space, lots of space for people to sit etc.  We also looked at Oceancliff but it just doesnt have something that the Glen Manor has. 

Dev, how many guests did you have?  We have about 150-180 I think and have no clue how to seat people, I also don't know where we would sit, where did you guys (bride and groom) sit?  We're thinking of using the dining room and patio and then the library for the dessert and coffee, am hope and praying for a nice night so we can utilize the outdoor space.  Did you find the ballroom was big enough for dancing? We were thinking of putting some chairs in there but wasn't sure.  Do you think people generally enjoyed themselves?

KB, thanks for your suggestion I love the idea of the different food in different rooms!
    ?Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairytale?
  • edited December 2011
    Our guest count was much smaller...we had 100 guests. We were able to fit everyone in the two indoor rooms. We sat at a table positioned pretty much in the doorway to the two rooms so we could actually see both rooms while we ate. You should really talk with Katie about the logistics because she really knows what works best. My guests had an AMAZING time. I didn't hear any complaints about the seating arrangments. Peopled raved about how beautiful the Glen was. The only difficulty I faced was when I wanted all the guests to go in the ballroom for the bouquet toss I had to run around and tell everyone to go into the ballroom. The weather was absolutely perfect for our day so the guests really liked to be outside.

The ballroom is plenty big for dancing. I actually thought it was a little too big for the amount of people that I had. With your numbers I think you can have cocktail tables set up and there will still be plenty of room.

I don't know if you are planning on doing a stations style dinner but if you are an idea might be to position a sweetheart table in between the stations so that everyone will have to walk by you.

Honestly, my Mom and I actually feel that the separate rooms created a more intimate homely feel as compared to venues where everyone is in a single huge room. My sister got married in a similar kind of venue where everyone sat in different areas and it really was not a problem. Like I said before you really don't sit at the tables for very long. We did the first dances and toasts at the end of cocktail hour in the big ballroom and then opened the doors to the dining rooms to start dinner.

My advice to you would be to make sure you get a dj who has a loud voice for when you need to make announcements.
  • edited December 2011
    I was married at the Glen in May and had around 155 guests. I invited 194! I put all of my family in the small dining room, all of the Hubs family in the larger dining room and all of our loud friends out on the patio. We sat in the doorway at a sweetheart table between the two dining rooms. My friends LOVED being outside and didn't feel like they had to be quiet. All of my guests loved walking around the property and having access to everything. No one complained about not seeing us at dinner because we stopped at each table to say Hi! My guests are still raving about the Glen! It was such an amazing place! I wouldn't let the different dining areas worry you! I have lots of pictures in my Married Bio!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Johnnysbride,
    Thank you so much, your post and photos were so helpful!  We will be reaching out to the Glen today to confirm availability and hopefully put down a deposit, I'm guessing this is just one of the many things I'll be second guessing during the planning process - the pressure is incredible!
    I love the idea of putting your friends outside, I think they would really enjoy this and having the view and the outdoor area will definately keep them happy :) One of the big selling points for us was the exclusive use of the property and people being able to look around and look at things without having areas restricted to the public etc.  I think stopping at each table is going to help us, this will put everyone at ease and we can make sure we see everyone.  I've heard so many great things about the property and the brides that were married there, the feedback has been great from guests as well - all I need to do now is cross my fingers for warm weather! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a very similar wedding there like the layout jonnysbride2010 is talking about. I was inside and the loud folks were outside including the teens. It worked out fine and we didn't hear any complaints from anyone there. On a side note it was an awesome wedding and such a beautiful venue!
  • edited December 2011
    Prue- You are welcome! Let me know if I can help you answer any other questions! The Glen is such an amazing place and I promise it will be your mansion for the day :) You won't regret it!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi all - thank you so much, you have all been so helpful.  Johnnys Bride, we've definately decided to go with the Glen and now the drama of dates... OMG not one thing its another :) Thanks again ladies!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards