Rhode Island
Options

Are your inlaws helping?

Hi all. I don't mean to seem nosy but I was wondering if some of you can share what your inlaws are doing to help with the wedding, if anything. I dont know what should be expected these days. Thanks :

Re: Are your inlaws helping?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_are-your-inlaws-helping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:122Discussion:83268ee2-ee6b-41ae-accc-a1e17694d3f1Post:c41f8015-d623-43b4-a0c9-21cd5531cc37">Are your inlaws helping?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all. I don't mean to seem nosy but I was wondering if some of you can share what your inlaws are doing to help with the wedding, if anything. I dont know what should be expected these days. Thanks :
    Posted by glamorous0813[/QUOTE]

My in laws are doing the rehearsal dinner and have also told my fiancee that they will help us with other stuff, to just talk to them. 
  • Options
    I expected nothing but my FMIL has really made an effort. She came to the last appointment at the venue with us and is also helping with costs - photographer, flowers, and rehersal dinner. She has also offered me a lot of her time which can be more helpful than money!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My in-laws will be doing the rehersal dinner.  My FMIL has made a nice effort to offer help with picking out centerpieces or flowers, which has been really appreciated.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My in-laws paid for our hotel stay the night of the wedding. My parents didn't contribute financially either. 
  • Options
    As of this point, nothing. They told my FI that they were going to pay for the rehearsal dinner, but I put down the down payment. We have also paid for their room for the weekend.
  • Options
    I am lucky that they are helping us out because my family is unable to.  We were grateful that they gave us 5 thosand dollars toward the wedding, which doesn't cover the whole thing but does help out a lot.  They also told us that they would pay for the rehearsal dinner.  FI's parents are so sweet and generous, I definitely lucked out!
  • Options
    My FILs live in Virginia, so they aren't able to come to any appointments.  They have said they are willing to help financially but haven't given us a dollar amount, so right now we're assuming they aren't helping.  My parents made a very generous financial contribution, though.
  • Options
    Both set of parents chipped the same amount of money, which in total is about 50% of the budget.  We are paying for the other half.
  • Options
    My FI's stepmother has said they will pay for or contribute towards the floral budget and I assume will be paying for the rehearsal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My inlaws paid for the rehearsal dinner, the shuttle service from the venue to the hotels for the guests (mostly though b/c it benefitted their friends and family), and our hotel room the night of the wedding. Otherwise, nada, though I'm grateful for what they did. Even though they live in CT they didn't help with any tasks, which would have been more appreciated than the money!
    I guess the short of it is - go in to it expecting nothing, and if you get something that's even better!
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    My parents are paying for about 20% of the estimated costs, and my in-laws aren't really paying for anything. To be honest, we currently give them so much money towards their own expenses, that I wasn't really expecting anything from them.

It would be kinda nice if they wanted to express some sort of regret that they couldn't contribute though. Instead of telling me that my "family should be rich because they have a lot of family". 

On the flip side, however, we don't have to deal with inviting some of their less than classy family since we're paying for it ourselves, so I guess that's a win-win.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards