Rhode Island

Too much for an updo?

So my regular stylist and I have been talking about her doing my hair for a while now but I had no formal contract so we had never discussed pricing. (Clearly my fault!) I had said last time I was there that we needed to discuss cost and she said it's all in the contract, which she finally sent me today.

Brides start at $175, including trial, plus $10 for setting (which she'd previously said I'd need because I have fine hair) and $10 to $20 to insert veils, clips, etc. so I'm looking at at least $205, which includes all of her travel and setup and such, as she'll come to me. Do you think that's reasonable? I have no idea how much this stuff should cost, but it seemed high to me, especially when I've seen that Sam C. does updos for like $35. Problem is, I'm sure everyone is booked for 10-10 by now. Thanks.

Re: Too much for an updo?

• edited December 2011
    I'm in shock at how much some of these stylists charge...$10-$20 to insert a veil?? that's ridiculous. at least a trial is included...I guess if you like her work and can't find anyone else to do it, you might have to bite the bullet...

have you looked into Lea Furia? She travels and works with a few girls...Maybe she's available? I don't know her pricing though.
    leafuria@gmail.com
    Happily Married!! 5.29.11 was THE best day of our lives!

>-{ Blog - K5 Becomes A Bride }-<

>-{ Wedding Items FOR SALE }-<

• edited December 2011
    OMG, that sounds like highway robbery!  $10-20 to insert a veil is ridiculous.  How much effort does it take to stick a comb veil in your hair?  Unless your veil is something crazy elaborate, that sounds like waaaay too much.  If you're one of those people that doesn't trust a lot of people with your hair (totally understandable) I'd shop around.  Are you having your hair cut or highlighted? $205 for a hairstyle for one day seems like a whole lot to me.  A lot of it is probably for her travel time, is it not possible for you to go to her salon? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

She does this on her own outside of the salon, and the salon is closed on Sundays. I would shop around but we've got like 46 days to go (Ack! You too, right?) and I've never been to another stylist in Rhode Island. I've been going to her for about 18 months and before that, the last time I had a professional haircut was 1996! In between, I'd just grow my hair, have my friend trim it, then she'd hack it and I'd donate it to Locks of Love. Grow, hack, donate, repeat. I'm sure someone else could do it ... the problem is just finding that someone else at this point.

• edited December 2011

My problem with this is not the overall cost but the fact that she charges you separately for setting and inserting a veil.  She should just have a price to do bridal hair. 

Before I can determine if she is charging too much, I have to ask, how much do you pay in the salon for a haircut, color, etc.?

I paid my hair stylist (from Boston) $500 for my trial, my mom's hair and my sister's hair.  She would have done others too for the same price but I didn't have any other BMs and my stepmom and MIL both have short hair.  I also paid for a hotel room for her ($200).  She had to travel from Boston to Newport on July 4. 

This may seem like a lot of money for hair, but I pay $85 for a haircut and $90 for a single process color at the salon.  She is very experienced and highly respected in Boston which is why she can charge these prices and it still booked 2+ months out.  So, if she is typically a lower prices stylist, I think her prices are really high.  If not, then they seem to be on point with other high end sylists. 

• edited December 2011
    Oh, yeah, right I forgot we're date twins!  Otherwise, I would send you to my stylist, she's fantastic. Holy crap 46 days.

The best I can suggest is maybe the Paul Mitchell School in Cranston, or any of the other beauty schools.  I'm sure they're teeming with talented people looking for an opportunity to show off.  Before I found my regular stylist, I've had my hair cut, dyed and permed (obviously, not all at once) by students at Paul Mitchell and I've always been very happy there.  The teachers guide them along every step of the way, so you don't have to worry about some young kid with no brain screwing up your hair...
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like someone mentioned above, it's not so much the final cost of the service but the fact that she nickel and dimes you for every little thing. However, her service charge is rather high. And for goodness sake you are giving her extra business on a day the salon is closed. I imagine if this was a Saturday, she would hike the price up to make up for what she would have made on a busy working business day. I would be upfront and say something like, "Well this is a little more than what I budget for so I might have to pass" I would still try to see if Sam (Sandra) C is still available. If not check out Sara Faella. Her trial hair is $45 and day of is $65 per head for bride and bridesmaid. The rest of her price list on her site. Chanda Sek also does amazing hair for a reasonable price. I believer her in-salon trial is only $35 and day of is $65. 

• edited December 2011
    I would call around just to check if someone else is available before biting the ($200) bullet. I'm paying $85 for mine, plus $50 for the trial with I DO wedding hair. They have 3 girls (I'm using Eva), so maybe one of them are available...

image 208 Invited
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 102 Will be missing out
    image 0 Are MIA (RSVPs due 9.10)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That is a LOT.  Sam C. did my hair, my two sisters' hair, AND my mom's hair........for way less than that!!  Are you paying for your BMs' hair?  That is going to be so much!  I hated when things surprised my carefully-planned budget. 
  • edited December 2011

Thanks, everyone!

Rebecca, I pay $35 for a cut plus I tip her $10 (the stylists there do their own shampoo and she does this awesome scalp massage, too.) I've never had color or anything else done so I'm not sure if this is comparable, but the site says one-step color and blowdry costs $70-$90. She does the wedding stuff on the side, so I understand she's got overhead costs for equipment, etc.

Jennifer, we went with no bridal party, so it's just me.

Anyone have contact info for Sam C.? Thanks!

• edited December 2011
    If she's traveling to you and it includes your trial its not terrible.. but I agree with the other girls with all the stupid extra charges.  I'm paying that for my hair dresser including my trial but I've been with her for 5 years and I wouldn't want anyone else to do my hair, and she's traveling from SE CT. 
    Jennie-Kay Murphy who is doing all the rest of my girls, and my make up does a Bridal Hair and Make up package for $200 plus she travels to you.  She maybe available, not sure but she is worth every penny. 
    Good Luck!!
    http://www.jenniekaymurphy.com/
  • edited December 2011
    Here's Sam C's email address: feinsteindanceacademy@yahoo.com

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think that is a lot!  I think my girl charges $75 or around there... she is a guest at my wedding and is doing my hair as my wedding gift. 
  • Em&MC2BEm&MC2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry I think that's a bit much (and I'm a hair stylist myself). I'd say call around and get a trial before you go with your regular.
  • 336339336339 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tamara in Riverside charged 75$ for both hair and makeup, probably available, and did a nice job for me.  Definitely would go for a trial to see if her style works for you...
  • edited December 2011
    I'd say the extra fees for setting and putting in a veil is the super ridiculous part. I mean beyond ridiclous, to me this just sounds greedy. Isn't the point for charging extra with bridal updo is for these very things? My trial and day of updo was $150, so not too far from your stylist's base price. I would suggest seeing if she'd waive the extra charges for you. If you've been going to her consistently and been giving her your business, then I would HOPE she'd be willing to do this as a compromise. If not, I'd say walk and find a more reasonable price.

The other thing I'd wonder about is that while it sounds like she normally cuts your hair, this doesn't say anything about her ability to do updos. Is her pricing justified? Does she have photos of other clients she's done? I would research your other options and if you can find someone else you're more confident about using, then go for it. Otherwise it sounds like you can fall back to her if someone else doesn't pan out.
    Married June 26, 2010! | Wedding/For Sale Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with cicconesp, I used Jennie Kay Murphy for my wedding 3 weeks ago, and she and her team are worth every penny.  My husband honestly cried when I was walking down the aisle bc he couldn't stop telling me throughout the ceremony how beautilful I looked (he's usually a solid rock).  She did such an excellent job with my bridesmaids and mother's hair too...it was also just a fun girls time too!! I highly reco her!
  • edited December 2011
    I used Sam C and LOVED my hair.  She did my whole wedding party, my mom and my daughter.  It was $35 each.  There is no way in h3ll I would pay 205$ for just my hair, that is ridiculous.
  • edited December 2011
    that's def high but it does include a trial. i had my hair done at wavelengths (i think the bride is around $100). i had a trial seperately and that was 70...so when all is said and done i def. paid over 200 with tips for the trial and wedding. 

id say if you're doing something simple then go elsewhere; you can just let your stylist know that you werent planning on spending that much....however if you have something intricate in mind and you're set on it it may be worth the investment. 

good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone. I talked to her about my concerns and she came down even below her base price so I feel comfortable about that now and am glad I said something. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards