Rhode Island

Roger Williams Botanical Center?

I'm wondering if anyone has had a wedding at the Roger Williams Botanical Center?  I'm just starting to plan and this is one of the venues that I'm considering, but I can't quite figure out all of the costs involved.  I know what the rental fee is, but not clear on what all the extras are - I know I'll need chairs, tables, linens, tent, but not sure about what else I'll need to add on or where to rent these from?  I'd love to hear some thoughts from anyone else who had a wedding here - especially from anyone who was trying to keep costs down!   

Re: Roger Williams Botanical Center?

• I have not HAD my wedding there YET.  We have a date of 9/14/13.  I believe there are two girls on here who were recently married there.  There are also quite a few with upcoming weddings too.

Originally I was going to use the tent but for our small guest list decided not to which saved alot not only in the rental fee but also for potential tent decor. 

You have to rent EVERYTHING.  The only thing they have is a place for the caterer and benches you could use for ceremony/cocktail in the one room. To cut more costs you could do less flowers as there is already stationary florals.

Shoot me a message if you have anymore questions.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When you mention renting everything - I'm assuming tables, chairs, linens, etc.  But not sure what else I might not be thinking of.   

Which caterer are you using - and how did you go about all of the rental items?  I'm not sure if that is something that typically the caterer does as an add-on service?  Thanks so much for replying, I love the look of it but worried that when all the costs add up it may be a lot more than I'm realizing!

• The basics would be tables, chairs, linens, table settings (plates, glasses, etc.). Your caterer can provide this.  Some caterers include linens (white or ivory) and place settings as part of their packages while some charge separately for everything. 

If you want upgraded chairs/linens they can do that as well, just usually for a fee, because they generally go to another vendor.  I have found that it's cheaper to go through a rental company on your own if you want upgrades.  I am looking into Felicia's in Fall River and Rentals Unlimited but there are others.

Obviously you have to bring in all other major vendors as well and you also have to get your own dance floor.  They do have an area where you could technically get ready but it's an old classroom.  I won't be getting ready there but will most likely congregate there before the ceremony starts.  

There is no fee to take photos at most locations around the Botanical Gardens but there is for the carousel.  Also, you could have your ceremony at the gazebo near the tent area if you didn't want it inside, I believe it's the same additional cost if you do it inside ($400).

Regarding caterers, I have looked into Morins, Decadent Catering, Glorious Affairs, Pranzi and other contenders are Cozy, Emerys and Ralph's.  The more expensive are Morins and Blackstone.  I will be contacting Plantation Catering this week.

Hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Has anyone done a wedding here on a tight budget? My fiance and I have family that amounts to 100 people and in order to include close friends, we hope to invite about 175. Hopefully 150 or less will show up! Our budget is roughly $15K and because our group is large, we are forgoing the sit-down dinner and will instead be doing a cocktail reception. Anyone know of caterers that can get us food and rentals within this budget, while leaving some room for other wedding expenses? We are more than willing to do lots of DIY things to make it all work out. 
  • Actually scratch those numbers listed in the last post. We plan on inviting about 160 (including 12 kids) and hope to have 135-150 attend. 
  • I definitely think its possible, just shop around for vendors.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What are the rental rates? Usually a Sunday and Friday wedding is less expensive. I imagine rentals for the basics increase the cost so most of a 15k budget will go to the reception and catering cost.You definitely will have to budget your other vendors wisely including big ticket items like photography, videography, wedding dress and alterations, dj/band ect. 

• Rental rates are exactly the same for a Friday/Sunday as it is for a Saturday, unfortunately. (I'm getting married on a Friday because we didn't want to wait until 2013 and was really hoping for a discount, but sigh, no dice.) I am getting married there this October and have about a $20K budget. We have a guest count of 150 and our caterer (Decadent) is taking care of tables, chairs, linens, etc. We're renting the dance floor separately, but really, that's about it for rentals. We are not doing any tenting. The way we're keeping costs down is DIY invites, non-floral centerpieces (the venue is gorgeous enough without it!), super cheap wedding attire (yay White Friday sale!), friend who is a videographer, no prof makeup application, etc. We'll probably be a little over budget due to photography, but that (and venue location) were our priorities! 

That being said, if you're just doing a cocktail reception, $15K should be no problem with some creativity. The venue is gorgeous so you don't need much in terms of decor!
  • Hello, 
    I am also just starting to plan and I have a bit of time to do so as the wedding isn't until 3/13/14. Which is a thursday. My fiance and I love the botanical gardens and we really had our hearts set on having our wedding there, however with this being said our budget is probably going to be around 10-12 thousand. The wedding will also be relatively small as I am expecting the guests to be under 100. Can anyone please tell me the costs of holding a wedding here? I know that tables, linens etc. will be seperate and I read else where that there is a fee for holding your ceremony there ($400). But what is the site rental fee? I can't seem to find anything regarding this, I remember reading something that said providence residents get a discount but I don't remember where I read it. I also don't know if a thursday wedding will be cheaper as well. If anyone has any info on this It'd be a huge help to me as I'm planning out my savings accordingly. 
    Thanks so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards