Rhode Island

Cake person- a bust

Kinda bummed. Just got email from FI this morning. His cousin that was going to do our cake cant now. Cause she'll be on vacation that week and wont be near the bakery she works. So we budgeted $0 for the cake as we were suppose to get it as a gift. Plus she said she didnt realize the church was so far from the reception venue 50 mins.
She offered to make a fake cake but how do we have the part to cut if shes not gonna be near the bakery.
Do we still have enough time to get a baker? Getting married early August. Im worried about the price of a cake. It could be up to 200 people hopefully more near 185.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cake person- a bust

• I think you definitely still have time to get a baker, but as for budget, that's a bummer.  Nothing you can really do about it though.  Would cupcakes be a cheaper alternative, perhaps with a small cake for you and your FI to cut?  I would not do a fake cake.. that's just kinda weird.
  • You can cut the top layer of a fake cake with that being real and then have the rest just a dummy cake and do sheet cakes in the back.  That is MUCH cheaper and no one will even know as the whole thing is still covered in fondont and most people hate the taste of it since it's very gummy.

I am using a woman who worked out of a bakery, but now does cakes out of her house.  She is wonderful!!  And only $2/slice, no delivery charge.  I know people can be cautious, and I was at first too, but we had a tasting at her house and signed a contract.  She is certified by the state as well (required by most venues).  If you'd like her info, I'd be happy to share.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Apparently the fake cake is stryfoam with fondant and they cut up sheet cake in the back. Not really a cupcake person.
    Any baker recommendations? Although the venue is in Sharon so prob should look at bakers closer to MA than more southern RI. I was just looking forward to not looking for another vendor.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @LOMLBOAT Yes please if i could have the info. I'd like a few options. As i know we have simliar taste with colors and the scroll place. What city is the cake person out of?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Eyejewel, for some reason my work computer never lets me send PMs, only respond - mind sending me a PM and I can respond?  Sorry :(
  • LOMLBOAT do you mind if I send you a message to get her information as well? Do you think she would deliver to Newport? Thanks!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you're still looking for another bakery option, I'm using Konditor Meister in Braintree, MA. You can go online to their site and book a tasting right there. They give you plenty of options, but if you're looking for something specific, just attach a note along when you book an appt. I thought the cakes were delicious and the prices were reasonable too if you don't want anything fancy (you could also add fresh flowers on your own if you needed to save on more cost). Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_cake-person-a-bust?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:122Discussion:ece78652-fd9a-4d41-b7fc-2443914d4a50Post:bd9cf7ef-bf09-433f-affc-bbcb19adf9d3">Re:Cake person a bust</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOMLBOAT do you mind if I send you a message to get her information as well? Do you think she would deliver to Newport? Thanks!!
    Posted by ddeyorio[/QUOTE]

Sure thing - just send me a PM since I can't send from work, I'll respond to it with the info!
  • edited March 2012
    I used It's My Party in Newport. No delivery fee, and our 3 tiered cake was $3.75/slice. Totally amazing, and people raved about how moist it was! Amanda, the owner, is so sweet and really works with you. She'll offer suggestions to help you stay on budget, too. Totally recommend!!
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • In Response to Re:Cake person a bust:Sure thing just send me a PM since I can't send from work, I'll respond to it with the info! Posted by LOMLBOAT This may be a silly question but how do you send a personal message? Lol I have been looking all over the place and can't figure it out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • it's right under someone's post it says private message and just shoot me a quick one so I'll be able to respond!  You can also go to the l/hand side of the webpage and scroll down until you see private messages and that's how you can check them :)
  • Some Baker options. There is cupcakecharlies in Newport or a friend of mine does cakes cupcakes ect her company is called eat bake love
  • @jerseychic24 i looked at the eatbakelove website and it is really good. Where is she out of?

Im having problems with people not delivering as Sharon, MA is too far.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards