South Carolina

Beware of vendor - Stewart Chocolates and Catering

We hired Stewart Chocolates and Catering for our groom's cake and wedding cake for our 09/26/09 wedding in Mt. Pleasant.  We met with Elizabeth Buckland, specifically.  She's also the pastry chef at Middleton Place.  We met with her, designed the cakes, and signed a contract.  She told us not to worry about a deposit, that we could just pay the day of the wedding.The week leading up to the wedding, she failed to return any calls or e-mails.  Feeling nervous, we ran out to Publix the day of the wedding and got a simple sheet cake and then a two tier cake as a back-up plan. Good thinking on our part.  She never showed.  We ordered two cakes from this vendor, had meetings, signed a contract....and nothing.  A big fat no show on our big day.  Thankfully, we just rolled with the punches and enjoyed our back-up cakes and our day.  I just want other brides to be prepared and be advised of this vendor.Vendors e-mail is swisschocolatier@gmail.comVendors phone number is 843-343-2458

Re: Beware of vendor - Stewart Chocolates and Catering

• shannjeffshannjeff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thats awful! i'm glad you had a backup plan and had a great wedding anyway.
  • DRibeiro13DRibeiro13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow that is truly horrible! You ended up not paying right? So would you say dont have your wedding at middleton place also? or are they not connected?
  • curtANDjamiecurtANDjamie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think there would be a problem with having a wedding at Middleton Place.  From what she told us, she's the head pastry chef there, but we hired her out from her private catering company.  If she doesn't show up to our wedding, she's fine, she still has her full-time job.  I just wouldn't advise people to hire her from her company because she failed to return calls, e-mails, and just never showed up.  We never ended up paying because she just told her to pay the day of when she delivered the cakes.  My best friend is a lawyer and says we can still sue even though funds were never involved, but I'm over it.  I just want to make sure nobody else has this happen to them.  :)
  • DRibeiro13DRibeiro13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I see...im so sorry that that happened. And thank you so much for letting us know! I hope that your wedding was amazing anyways. Im sure it was! :)
  • edited December 2011
    The same exact thing just happend to me!!! Although I was dumb enough to pay her in full.. I called her 5 times in a row on my day of, and she never answered. I had the best man call from a "random" number & she answered, but claimed she was a friend & that Elizabeth had died in a car accident the week prior in Alabama. I got the idea to try calling her one more time & she actually answered but was trying to act like she didn't know who I was but I knew her voice b/c I met w/ her several times in person, as well as talked to her on the phone. I am definitely going to press charges & sue her! You should get on board!!
  • edited December 2011
    wow! Thanks for the heads up! and im glad your back-up plan worked and you enjoyed your day regardless and now her rep is trashed! How do people expect to run a business that way??? and its obviously a common practice for her as its happened more than once! good thing you didnt pay the deposit!
    Oct 2010 Brides Siggy Challenge : Photobucket
    Jessica & Jason Oct 30, 2010WeddingBio...updated 2/22 image
  • edited December 2011
    Hello curt and jamie, can you please email me at mrandmrsstark@yahoo.com. i'd like to further discuss what you know about elizabeth.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad she never responded to my e-mails now!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards