South Carolina

Wilhite House in Anderson?

I fell in love with this venue through the website, it seems very affordable for all you get out of it and it is gorgeous.  However, after reading some reviews they kind of scared me off. Like the staff is extremely rude and unprofessional and they try to charge you an arm and a leg in fees after the contract is signed. Has anyone had and experience working with this venue?  Was it a positive one?

Re: Wilhite House in Anderson?

• kcrowe11kcrowe11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We toured the venue when planning our wedding and we did not gel with the lady/planner for the site. She was not very nice.  Good Luck
  • bishoujostephbishoujosteph member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married there May 7th of next year and I booked with the months ago.  I have had nothing but great experiences with them.  All the fees and charges you know up front and nothing is hidden.  The staff is wonderful and I am even considering doing work for them as a wedding live painter after I get married.  The owner, Lori, does photography and she's wonderful and friendly.  I absolutely love the staff and they have become very close with the groom and myself and we even keep up with each other on Facebook and talk casually, etc.With so much included for certain prices (which ARE listed in their catalog they give you so nothing is held back), it's a great steal for such an amazing venue.  I have even went when a wedding was going on there and experienced the magic firsthand.When you sign the contract you sign based on your guest count for catering and any special additions you want.  Only additions later are what you add on yourself when you have a consult on decor/food/etc if you're adding extras than what comes with the package.  And the final addon would be tax and gratuities which you can inquire about for a rough estimate.  The only fee that surprised me, and that's because I overlooked it on the paper myself was the security deposit for the day of, but that was my own oversight.I definitely recommend them.  I'm even using their photography and DJ services! :)As for the coordinator.. there was a coordinator that recently left that was not working out with them - she was connected with the family and when she decided to cut her ties she was very rude about it and up and left many people out of luck.. they have since replaced with a great woman who is my coordinator and makeup/hair stylist.Please do give them a chance, and tell them Stephanie, their May 7th artist bride sent you! :)Good luck!PS: I had a tasting already.. they do their food homemade and it is FANTASTIC! 
  • edited December 2011
    A friend of mine was married there last year and it they were horrible at best to work with.

The things that I remember the most is the fact that they tried very hard to make them lose their deposit.  The photographer was a male and he was not allowed upstairs or they would loose the deposit.  The wedding was around 5pm and my friend had brought some fast food with them to eat around 11:00 and the lady there scolded them saying they would lose their deposit.

About their house photographer, there was a scene with the photographer my friend hired, I cannot remember his name but the house photographer came out and wanted to start taking photos of his formal session for pictures for the house. 

Their wedding was outside and the seating arrangement was very strange.  Some people had to sit in the jungle.  Also there was a lot of noise from the neighborhood.  Where the wedding area is the guest will be facing a fence and cars kept going by and was annoying.

The last thing that comes to mind is that the parking was pretty bad if you have any elderly guests.

I have been to about 4 weddings since I moved here and this was the only wedding place that rubbed just about everyone the wrong way.
    edited December 2011
    Saying they tried very hard to make her lose the deposit isn't fair to them.  Everything you mentioned isn't allowed and it says so in the contract, and if it was read then there would be no problems.. to try and do those things is in breech and would result in lost deposit.

The only reason I'm saying this is because I don't think these people bad and I have my booklet right here with those clauses stated in plain writing - people just need to take the time to read it.  And as a guest, I'm sure you wouldn't have seen the contract yourself, so I'm stating it so you know from the paper standpoint.. your friend must have not read all the contract details.

It says in the contract that no food is to be brought upstairs due to loss of deposit because one section of the upstairs is their living quarters.  They DO offer a food service to provide food upstairs for the party, but being prepared by the in-house caterer keeps it in policy.

Also, no children or other photographers/videographers are allowed up there due to legalities being as upstairs is residential and they are renting out half of the upstairs as a service to the bride.  Also only 10 people at max are allowed up there including the bride at a time and you can't switch out.  This contract is to ensure the safety of their home and the people who are up there.  The bride who got married there should have read the contract.

As for seating... that's to each his own.  The seating is underneath the tree in a garden.. it's to be expected.  I actually like it lol

The photography thing.. can't say much there.  Every photographer is different and some are okay with people taking photos, others arent.  What can ya do.

And for the street noise?  The basic package doesn't offer a street closure permit, but the other two do.  It's a 90 minute closure package included to keep your ceremony quiet and intimate.  If you don't go through them for it, you have to go to the courthouse.  Apparently this bride didn't look into it?  I dunno.  I've opted to get the package with it.

And I agree on parking.. not so flaterring on the elderly, but due to the location, it's like any other intimate business setting in downtown.. not something that can be helped, though it'd be nice.  But at a 150yr old location, what can you do lol

Anyway, not trying to be a crazy Wilhite House promoter.. I'm just wanting to give an opinion and take from a bride who is getting married here's prospective. 

Like with ANY location, you have to read the contract... if you do, these situations won't happen.

So please don't take what I've said wrong or as an arguing post.. just a lot of it is common sense and respect for what you agreed to.  They let you know about it being half their living space up front and let you know the rules - it's not their fault if you think you can get away with it anyway.. you break the rules, you pay the price - and a security deposit lost because you couldn't follow rules is proper etiquette.
  • edited December 2011
    The food was not brought upstairs, it was outside near where the reception area was.  Yeah, they do offer a food service, at an additional cost.  That reminds me, their food, was not very good either.  I remember she had some kind of little finger sandwhiches that were dry as anything.  That was the first and last thing I tried there.  It is possible that the other food was ok, but I was not going to take a chance.

To restrict the photographer was just ridiculous.  There is no reason for that.  I know I wanted my photographer and videographer to get film of me getting ready.  To me that was important.  You would think it is common sense to allow a photographer or videographer in.  Children, I can see that one.

If they are so concerned about renting out half of their house, they should not be in that business.  I am willing to bet that their house photographer is allowed to be up there no matter the head count.

The only reason why she hired this place was because they were the only place that was available that weekend.  Her now husband was being shipped it Iraq and timing was not on their side.

You are right, it is a common sense thing, and it would be common sense to avoid this place.  Between the lousy food, the rude staff, and the limited resources this place has to offer, I could not recommend it to anyone. 

I understand why you would want to defend your decision and since you already put a down payment on this place, I can understand that.  But, I hope that you do not regret your wedding day.

With that being said, and this is for you.  Disregard what I said.  Nevermind the lousy time my friend had there.  You may have a different experience, and I truly hope you do.  So please forget what I said and have a wonderful wedding.  Everyone else, please think twice.
    edited December 2011
    heh, no worries.  Everyone has a different experience with any venue.

The photographer would be up there, because the in-house photographer is the owner of the place.  I just wanted to toss that out there.

The food, we did a tasting and they have some amazing dishes.  I've not tried the sandwiches, so I couldn't tell you there.  They have some homemade bbq ribs that are really good, and the cake as well.. so I dunno.

I've been to a wedding there and I liked what I experienced, so maybe they have improved since last year too.  I have noticed a lot of people saying over the past year they have upgraded, changed things and expanded a lot of service.. I saw pictures of weddings from last year and the prior year and it's very different from what I experienced a couple weeks ago at a wedding and what I've scheduled.  Shoot, they are adding new things before my wedding so at least they are striving to up their game.  I will admit the negatives I've heard when I was originally looking into them were from weddings the past two years rather than this one.  I've heard great things since they did some remodeling and reworking packages... so maybe that's a good sign?

Thank you for the well wishes and I hope that if the original poster does go with them that she has a good wedding as well.  :)

Take care.
  • SuzieK27SuzieK27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just be very careful...read thoroughly.  Especially if you happen to have other vendors, ie photographer, DJ, cake - they do not make things easy to have your choice of vendors.  Some brides have mentioned the food had been taken away even brfore the b&g have gotten their plates. Also the gratuities, some friends have been very surprised to be asked on the day of about the tip for the carriage person, etc.
    Hope it goes well for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards