New York-Upstate

Picnic-y/BBQ Reception/Party Albany/Schenectady/Troy/Capital Region Area

We are looking for a place that is relatively inexpensive consider we just dropped 15-20k ish on our reception.

We are looking to have a BBQ in celebration of our recent wedding that just occured on May 1. We both have very large families, and this BBQ is going to have about 300 - 400 people at it.

We would like a place that is outside, but perferable has a pavilion. We don't want to rent a tent as that gets expensive and this is already going to be an expensive shin-dig. We wanted somewhere that we could play games, maybe softball field, maybe a lake for swimming, and possibly a bouncy bounce for the children invited. We really just want this to be the biggest most awesome BBQ but we are having a hard time finding a place that is big enough, and meets the criteria that we are looking for.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Picnic-y/BBQ Reception/Party Albany/Schenectady/Troy/Capital Region Area

• Ja19m81ieJa19m81ie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can rent a pavilion at the Saratoga State Park or pretty much any park around the area. Those cost too much money.
  • pennyprettypennypretty member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Crystal Cove has a meal option that is BBQ and they are located on a lake with 8 acres of land. I haven't seen the places personally yet, but I've been hearing things here and there about it. You can hire a life guard and they'd probably let you use the fields next to the paviollion.
  • edited December 2011

I checked out Crystal Cove for my wedding.  It is a gorgeous location and the owners are very friendly, however upkeep is not so good.  The bathrooms are very public parkish and not very clean.  Their house is on the property and their porch is filled with old junk that spilled onto the lawn.  Not to mention we showed up to scope out another wedding and they were still setting up in the lodge while the ceremony was happening in there, the staff was still in sweats and tank tops.  It just wasn't up to our wedding standards.  However for a big BBQ it may be perfect.  Check them out and go for a visit.  It's located in Averil Park about 15 minutes from Albany.

• splint00splint00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SPAC might have some options and it's so beautiful in Saratoga. If the space thing is an issue, there's always Grafton Lake State Park. They have a lot of pavilions actually so it would help with so many people. I'm sure you could arrange for catering to go there also. 
  • Ja19m81ieJa19m81ie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Crossings in Colonie is another good idea. You would have to provide your own food for it though.
  • white1021white1021 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Birch Hill is the perfect spot. Ponds, peacocks, pavillions. Clean bathrooms! I worked there for years. Not far from Albany. Nice spots for pictures and they make a BBQ wedding still nice. Check it out online.
  • edited December 2011
    Congress Park in Saratoga is beautiful...like the Crossings in Colonie, you'll have to provide the food, but both parks are kept beautifully...and the bathrooms aren't too shabby.

Good luck!
    B
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've booked crystal cove for my wedding and have heard similar things that jnic0319 said about it. I'm nervous about my wedding and feel a bit helpless beacuase it's now three months away. I would only consider crystal cove if you are an extremely easy going bride.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-upstate_picnic-ybbq-receptionparty-albanyschenectadytroycapital-region-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:124Discussion:03942b6b-c501-4e36-b217-2d420f729414Post:f175484c-180d-411d-bc22-d2c207416162">Re: Picnic-y/BBQ Reception/Party Albany/Schenectady/Troy/Capital Region Area</a>:
    [QUOTE]Crystal Cove has a meal option that is BBQ and they are located on a lake with 8 acres of land. I haven't seen the places personally yet, but I've been hearing things here and there about it. You can hire a life guard and they'd probably let you use the fields next to the paviollion.
    Posted by pennypretty[/QUOTE]

We're using them too and they are AMAZING!! the setting is breathe taking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards