New York-Upstate

Martini/Drink Luge??

Has anyone had or has been to a wedding with a martini/drink luge?? Our package comes with an ice sculpture and I was thinking of changing it to a drink luge instead. It will be functional as well as a nice decoration. And def something fun to try out for the guests! Any opinions??

Re: Martini/Drink Luge??

• edited December 2011
    Not to sound too negative - but I dont think this is a very good idea... Im picturing guests in their suits and cocktail dresses crouching down next to a drink luge - ala keg party style, and then having to take their drinks like a shot! im then envisioning stained dresses and suits when someone doesnt "catch" their drink correctly... If you dont want the ice sculpture, can you trade it out for something else? Maybe an additional appetizer for cocktail hour, or an additional hour of open bar... ... i dont know - i just dont think a drink luge is a good idea...
  • edited December 2011
    LOL that I would totally understand that but the luges for weddings, the liquor gets poured into a martini glass or a shot glass not directly into the persons mouth See link below:http://www.wetv.com/photo-galleries/platinum-weddings-amy-and-ryan/martini-luge.html
  • BelhurstBrideBelhurstBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Eh, just screams frat party to me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Martini's scream frat party?? LOL I guess its hard because I'm not going for the whole extremely traditional bride thing and I wanted to try something new and exciting. I think my guests would enjoy it...Has anyone on these boards actually done one for their wedding??
  • edited December 2011
    We considered one but our venue really kind of was eh about it because of the mess. Once people have a few drinks in them (or none if they aren't all that coordinated lol) it can be a mess on the floor, slippery, or get all over people. I think they look really neat but its something that I just didn't want to risk injury over :)
  • edited December 2011
    I have seen it at a wedding and on tv at big fancy parties where the martini luge is part of a beautiful ice sculpture.  If you go this way then I think you might be safe from scorn, but if it looks more like a shoot carved into an ice block it will definately scream frat party!  Proceed with caution!
  • edited December 2011
    I have been to a wedding that feature a drink luge table amongst many other things. This was a very very upscale wedding with something like 200 or more guests...the details are foggy because after 100 you lose count but it was held at a very nice country club. I think everyone really enjoyed it and no it was not frat party at all if done right. The only drawback is this may encourage heavy drinking and you might have more intoxicated gets than you would like, so that could be a drawback but it is up to you how you want your wedding to be. I think that the reason why it didnt seem as frat party as people think was because it was one of many stations featured during the cocktail hour and it was only used during the cocktail hour not the reception because this would definately encouraged too much drinking. The station was set-up and there was a bartender there to help guests and probably also to control the shot consumption because remember even if it is a martini it is basically a shot. People would pour the drinks themselves and the bartender just monitored. I hope this helps
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey, you asked for opinions. My opinion of a martini/drink luge is that it sounds like a frat party. Short of platinum weddings I've never seen it done well.
  • edited December 2011
    I asked if anyone had actually used one or had one at their wedding, those r the opinions I value and take into consideration. There are also ways to give an opinion without being rude. I posted a link of a picture of what we would use. It would be a pretty big piece. It wouldn't be the shape of a slide but a ring or other wedding themed shape. I'm sure I could have it as part of the cocktail hour only to cut down on the mess.
  • edited December 2011
    I have never been to a wedding with one but I think it sounds fun.  Go for it!!! You know yourself and your guests and if you think they will enjoy it I say do it!!  Go outside the box for non-traditional!
  • edited December 2011
    We're having a martini luge at our cocktail hour next month. I've never seen it done before in person but our wedding coordinator suggested it as an alternative to an ice sculpture. We've told several people about it and not one of them has said anything about a "frat party". I think it all depends on the type of guests you have invited. If your entire guest list is old friends from college that still go out drinking every thursday-sunday...then I would worry. But if a majority of your guest list are family members and friends that you trust not to get loaded and act like total morons then there is nothing to worry about.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooohh, so you wanted opinions from people who already decided it was a good idea to do. My bad. Next time, don't post "Any opinions??" Post something to let people know that you really don't care what anyone thinks and just want people to provide all positive feedback.
  • edited December 2011
    I ahve to agree with Belhurst here... your original msg asked for opinions... you didnt ask for experienced opinions until after you heard a few negative comments... in my case and Belhursts case, who have never seen these luges before, our only point of reference is "frat party" - and I still think that there is no real reason for a luge - who "works" this luge? do you have to pay for an additional worker from your venu to pour guests drinks down? do guests do it themselves (the video may have answered this.. i honestly didnt watch it)? Even GLL mentioned a safety concern... I think you have a pretty good range of opinions from good and classy to dont do it... and thats what you should get when you ask for opinions... now you can take everyones comments into consdieration and make your own decision.... please dont get snippy when you hear things you dont want to hear.
  • edited December 2011
    Like I said before there are ways to give opinions without being rude but apparently people loose their etiquette when they are posting on message boards. I know its much easier to be rude on the computer and you get courage when you're not face to face with someone. But anyways!! And some of these "opinions" don't have anything to do with the question I asked. It is obvious that some of you have no idea what I'm talking about so your opinions don't make any sense. If you actually took the time to look at the picture you could've given a much more informed opinion.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you're the one who jumped to being rude when you didn't hear what you wanted. You asked for opinions and people said they didn't like the idea of it. Don't insult people's intelligence and say they didn't know what you were talking about or didn't look at the picture. People aren't morons and you're not the first person to ever consider a martini luge. Like it or not, I've never seen one done where it didn't look just like one at a frat party. I'm sorry you didn't like my answer, but that's what it is.
  • edited December 2011
    I actually love this idea.. My fiance and I met over a martini.. would be a really cool addition to our etched martini glasses we're having at the tables.
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married at Saratoga National in October and we are having a martini luge at our cocktail hour. Tt's one of the things Ken and I are really excited to have. We're from Boston and we're in our mid-30s and have fun friends who love martinis...so I wouldn't think of it as a frat party, but I can see how it could be construed that way if it weren't done the right way. When we describe it to people they are excited - it's mostly something fun and different. I know that Saratoga National will present it in a very classy way, too. We opted for the Grey Goose bottle sculpture because Grey Goose is popular with our friends. Good luck with your planning! Let me know if you have any questions.
  • edited December 2011
    While my knowledge of ice luges are the old fashioned college party kind, I saw what you are describing recently on Colin Cowie's get married.  It looked really neat and was by no means a tacky college thing.  Unlike in college, you're not asking your guests to drink out of the luge.  You may want to set it up so that the bartender can catch the drinks to avoid messiness.  I doubt that people would imbibe any more than they would if you had another type of signature cocktail.  It just provides for a little extra entertainment.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards