Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Are memorial candles a "downer"?

My cousin recently passed away in March.  She lost her battle with cancer at the age of 35.  I wanted to purchase one of those memorial candles with her name on it and display a picture of her next to it in the front hall of our venue.  This would make me happy, becuase I would feel like she was there with me but I am afriad it may be to soon for her family.  I don't want to upset anyone...what do you think?
Adriane

Re: Are memorial candles a "downer"?

• Options
    I think it's a great idea, but I would put the word out with her family before you went ahead and did it. They might be honored or it might be extremely depressing for them. If the idea upsets them, you might do something more discreet, like attaching a locket with her photo inside to your bouquet, or having a brief passage on the program dedicated to her memory.
  • Options
    another good idea is to have a (dog tag) made with her pic on the front and name on the back then have it tied around your boquet...(makes for great pics and that way that would make her family honored that she is that close with you!) Good luck, sorry for your lose.
  • Options
    I would definitely run this by the family first.  Some people might be okay with it, but for some others, it might just be too painful.  My mom died exactly 3 weeks before DD's wedding.  I personally could would not have wanted a very visible memorial to my mom on that day.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    If it's how you want to honor her, I would go with it, speak with the family, but ultimatly it's you're decsion. I have lost both of my grandmothers, cancer and diabities, and my FI grandmother also past recently from cancer-- he doesn't have contact with any of his dad's family as his mom, sister, and he were abused by his dad-- except one aunt whom his dad also abused-- very sad. I am going to have three candles, each in the color of the cancer/diabietes that they past from on a tray at the front and have the mom's or spouses and my dad light the candles and place a note explaining the candles in my program
    Sarah Kropf Wedding Countdown Ticker 98image 12image 4image
  • Options
    Thank you all!  Those are really good ideas.  My cousin actually sold Silpada jewelry and her 7 year old daughter gave me one of her bracelets at the funeral.  Maybe I can incorporate that around my bouquet.  Thanks again!!

Adriane
  • Options
    I do think it's a downer.  I like the bracelet idea.  I'm also a fan of other small, subtle things that will mean something to you without being in your face - a locket on your bouquet with her picture or a pin that belonged to her, a piece of jewelery, an altar arrangement using her favorite flower or color, a favorite song on your must play list, etc. 
  • Options
    I would talk to the family but I think its a good idea! At my wedding we are having a memory candle in honor of 2 ppl.  My mom and his best friend that died last year.
  • Options
    I think it will be a downer.
  • Options
    I think the small things would be better - the bracelet idea would be very nice.  In 2 days, my grandfather will have been gone for 1 year.  He was a big part of the family.  It's still too hard to think about - I've thought about doing something to honor him but, just me knowing there is something small/thinking about it will probably make me cry, and I don't want to cry.  I was thinking of saving some flowers from my bouquet and taking them to his gravesite by myself...
    *12.31.10*New Year's Eve!*
    *BFP 1.3.13* IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    have a candle but maybe not the picture, I have many people that have passed and I am having a memorial candle with the words "In Memory - This light shines as a symbol of a life and love remembered"

Weddings are already emotional, and families as well as you are remembering their loved one should be there celebrating alongside them, so just be mindful as everyone else has said :)

my cousin was killed in afghanistan a year ago and i'm getting a dog tag with his picture on it, and my sister died years ago, her favourite flower was forget-me-nots (fitting i know) so my flowers with have a few scattered in it, and my mom's corsage will also have a couple :) a lil remembrance but not a downer!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards