New York-Upstate
Options

Tipping

Hi ladies, I think I know what I am going to do but wanted to get some opinions/clarification on who and how much to tip.  I am getting married in a catholic church (Do I tip the priest?  How much is appropriate (my ceremony fee was $150)?).  Also, the organist?My DJ, videographer and photographer are self-employed (I think that means I don't have to tip them?).  There is a built in 20% gratuity on the catering/bar bill (Do I need to provide any additional tip?).Shuttle to/from the reception- what should I tip the driver?Don't mean to sound cheap, I will tip whoever I should.  Just wanted to check in to see how it sounds to others.Thank you!

Re: Tipping

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our minister didnt charge us at all, and so we felt uncomforatble giving him cash... becuase he was almost giving us a gift of blessing by not charging us... we bought him a gift certificate to a restuarant instead If DJ / Photog/Videographer are self employed - no dont tip them... besides - why would you tip photog/videog day of wedding anyways - what if the pics/video were awful (knock on wood) If gratuity is added into catering bar bill, i wouldnt tip extra.. .most likely there will be a tip jar on the bar and the guests will tip the bartenders extra... shuttle to and from the reception... check your contract, tip may be included already (it was in ours)... if not, yes tip at least 10% of total, up to 20% dont feel bad about asking this kind of question - it comes up alot.. you arent being cheap!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Minister - we gave $100.DJ and video, etc. - no tip until after if the services were above and beyond.Catering gratuity - we gave them extra ($100 for maitre dis , etc) because they were just amazing. I always tip extra for above and beyond service. We requested no tip jars on the bars, too.Shuttle - I would tip 15-20%.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards