New York-Upstate

Question about name change.....

so i've been married over a year, but never changed my name.  i put it on the marriage license b/c the woman said it would be easier if i wanted to down the line.  so as long as i have that, do i just go to the social security office and change it?  i feel like i need something else because i didn't change it right after i got married.  thanks for any advice!

Re: Question about name change.....

• edited December 2011
    That is all you need:) Once you change it with the SS Office, you can go and change it with the DMV and such.
  • edited December 2011
    you can change it at the dmv before ss if you want but you do need to go there. you can't just send something in i believe. i did the dmv/registration/title, then ss....  such a pain, i should've waited but i need a passport so it just made sense to do it right away...GL
    Baby, you've got the sort of eyes that tell me tales...
    :Blog:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BelhurstBrideBelhurstBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you can change it at the dmv before ss if you want but you do need to go there.Technically, you can't, but some DMVs will let you. I wouldn't plan on it and recommend heading to the SS office first. You need to have a photo ID and your marriage license with you. Some areas have multiple SS office; if you post on thenest and ask someone can direct you to one that's nice and quiet. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    i went to the main ss office in the city of rochester and they didn't even look at my ID, and i was told two different things, one person said i needed my old ID, another said I needed my ID with my new name, that's why i went to the DMV first. and then they never looked at it. haha oh well
    Baby, you've got the sort of eyes that tell me tales...
    :Blog:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards