New York-Upstate
Options

A destination wedding? Should we or should we not?

Hi Everyone, I need some help making an important decision. My fiance and I love the idea of having a beach wedding in a warm climate, like the Florida Keys. But I keep thinking about how much it may cost my guests to get there. Not everyone is in a financial situation to take a vacation to the keys and also considering family situations. BUT, my fiance insists it should be about accomodating us and not our guest. I THINK that with 1 1/2 year notice that most of the important people I want there would be able to make it, with enough notice to save up.  So, my question would be if you have 19 months to save (estimate $1000-1500 per couple-flight, hotel stay, spending money) for a weekend wedding getaway (Thurs-Sun) in the Florida Keys, would you? Not sure what to do!?!?

Posted by aic717

Re: A destination wedding? Should we or should we not?

• Options
    garcias1garcias1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It would depend on how close I was to you.  If you were in my family or a really close friend, I would probably go.  If you were a coworker, I probably wouldn't go (unless we were super close).  I think you need to discuss with your family and close friends to decide whether they could do it.  Have your "must attend" list.  If most people on your must attend list wouldn't be able to come, then I might reconsider.  Otherwise, go for it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • Options
    CSTK1910CSTK1910 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, just think about those closest to you and if they are able to go. Besides money, though, you should consider logistics. We wanted to do that as well, but since we have a lot of teachers and families with kids in school, the only time everyone could really go somewhere was during the summer. We figured tropical places would be uncomfortably warm in the summer, so we stuck with Rochester.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm,
    We live in the Bronx.  And I wanted a destination wedding but I knew my family members would be strap for cash if we did it to far away and if they had to pay to much.  So I came up with the most practical plan for us. 

First and foremost my family members never travel let alone pay to come to my wedding hmmm. but i wanted to offer them more than a ceremony and a reception.  Our family a group of about 25 went up to Lake George and stayed for 3 nights we had our wedding there and I "force" them to take a mini vacation.  We rented two 15 passenger vans and was on our merry ways.  I prepaid for everyone and they were suppose to reimburse me 250 a head mostly everyone did with the exception of 3 loser cousins.  But I wouldnt have it no other way I'm happy they came.

You are giving people a good amount of time, start a payment plan.  Make them sign it (with stipulations).  I'm so serious.... Good luck... I would do it again in a heart beat. 

For my family I set the bar high and it will always be remembered it was a very special few days for us. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards