New York-Upstate
Options

Piano Player - Albany

Hi! We're getting married in Troy at The Franklin Plaza in March 2012. The Plaza has a beautiful piano in both the ceremony and reception rooms. We would like a live piano player for the ceremony and cocktails. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have no idea how much a reasonable price is. Thanks!

Re: Piano Player - Albany

• Options
    SaranacLakeSaranacLake member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi - No suggestions (I'm way far north of you near Lake Placid), but I thought I'd drop in - I'm a church organist and pianist. 

Up here in the North Country, a pianist or organist (a real one) for a wedding is $200 to $250 for the ceremony. When I am doing a wedding, that includes a meeting with the couple (both must be present) and spending some time during that meeting playing them a line or two of this and a line or two of that to help them make some choices. I provide them with a list of suggestions and appropriate alternatives in case they don't want the-same-ol-thing. 

Rule of thumb - You want someone who plays the type of thing you want, but keep in mind, if they're experienced, they know more about this than you do, and can be a big asset, especially when it comes to suggesting music. Make friends. And unless you're stuck, don't choose someone you don't like. 

For cocktails, I would be a flat $100 for a reasonable amount of defined time, like 90 minutes or something, my choice of jazz/swing/piano-type music. Since it is background music for cocktails, people usually don't much care. If the couple had a request or two (although that's never happened), no big. 

Most real-life pianists and organists have their own weird set of bugaboos. (Someone would have to be awfully, awfully convincing to get me to play the Wedding March.) But, if you like the musician and they seem reliable (or come recommended), you're generally in good shape. Honestly, I'd check out a couple of classy clubs in your area that have live piano, and just ask the pianist if they do weddings. 95% of the time, they do. 

Book early. Truly good musicians have very ugly schedules, especially once you're above Westchester and don't have access to the NYC talent pool. 

(And bravo for a site with an awesome piano! Congrats! You wouldn't believe the crap pianos I've played for weddings!) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Janice2beWedJanice2beWed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lee Waddell plays - he's great.   He sold his DJ company so he cannot advertise anymore. He is phenomenal. 331-6007.  I actually met him the other day and he is a really nice guy.

I heard that Mitch Frasier plays as well, but I cannot remember whether he plays guitar or piano.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards