New York-Upstate

Outdoor Ceremony and Cocktail- Oct Upste NY????

Hi Lovely Brides....

I am planning my wedding for Oct 13th 2012 and it hit me this weekend...it may be FREEZING!  Our wedding is in Mornoe NY (right by woodbury commons for all you thrifty NY brides) and our ceremony is outside as is our cocktail.  I am so in love with foliage I didnt even think of how the weather would be aside from beautiful foliage!  Our ceremony and cocktail area are on a patio surrounded by two walls but I am thinking of maybe getting a tent and heaters as a back up????  My fear are costs...

Anybody else haev there wedding at that time in ny...its such a guessing game!

Re: Outdoor Ceremony and Cocktail- Oct Upste NY????

• edited December 2011
    Hi Lovely Brides....

I am planning my wedding for Oct 13th 2012 and it hit me this weekend...it may be FREEZING!  Our wedding is in Mornoe NY (right by woodbury commons for all you thrifty NY brides) and our ceremony is outside as is our cocktail.  I am so in love with foliage I didnt even think of how the weather would be aside from beautiful foliage!  Our ceremony and cocktail area are on a patio surrounded by two walls but I am thinking of maybe getting a tent and heaters as a back up????  My fear are costs...

Anybody else haev there wedding at that time in ny...its such a guessing game!
  • utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd post this on your local board.
  • MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

October is such a hit or mess. It could be beautiful outside and a bit chilly but "do-able" or it could be windy and cold. Upstate NY is rather unpredictable as I'm sure you know. I think if you're having a short ceremony outside that would probably be okay. You could always provide blankets or pashminas for the ladies or tell people on your wedding website so they can dress accordingly. As far as the cocktail hour, could you plan on having it outside and have a backup indoor space for it if necessary?

• peanutty2peanutty2 member
    edited December 2011
    I'd worry that will be too cold then also.  Could you rent heaters?  I was just talking to someone who was at an outdoor wedding last weekend and they were freezing! (in PA) They said the people dancing and drinking seemed ok, but for anyone not doing those things - they were cold!  You could still get some warm days, but I'd plan for it to be a little cold just to be safe.
  • edited December 2011

You definitely need tents and probably heaters as well.  By mid-October your temperatures are going to be low 60s (if you're lucky) down to the 40s once the sun goes down.  I'd reserve the tents and then decide if you really need them as you get closer.  Maybe we'll have a warm fall season next year.

• edited December 2011
    We're getting married indoors at the Hall of Springs in Saratoga on 10/12/12, but our cocktail hour is in an enclosed patio that's isn't heated.  I asked about that when we toured the HOS (it's an evening wedding, so I thought it might be too cold out there), and they said that they would keep an eye on the weather that week and see if renting the heaters would be necessary.  He said that if they do rent the heat for us, they would only turn them on before the guests entered the cocktail hour space, just to warm up the room.  Once there's a bunch of people in there, there's no need to have the heat on.

I would look into renting heaters in case you need them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's a gamble. I'm in the Buffalo area and a few years back we got a freak snowstorm in October. Not likely to happen again, but as PP said I'd def look into the heaters.
  • lehc723lehc723 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married outside of Albany the week before you, and am planning on keeping heaters on hold in case it's chilly.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We got married 10/1/2011 in upstate NY (New Paltz area). The rehearsal dinner was outside, it was 70 degrees while the sun was setting - we practiced the ceremony in the spot of my dreams overlooking the mountains. Everyone was in strapless dresses and sandals - a dream come true. I woke up the morning of my wedding to a black sky and gail force winds. It literally dropped 25 degrees overnight and was predicted to be about 45 degrees. Our ceremony, cocktail hour, AND reception was supposed to be outside. Crisis mode went quickly into effect - we had a backup for ceremony and unfortunately the cocktail hour stuffed into where the ceremony also was. Like the other said, the people that weren't dancing or drinking were freezing. Heaters, heaters, heaters! They make such a difference. I talk to my hubbers every day about "doing it over again" - the weather can be such a letdown  :( BUT, our friends got married in the SAME place, the weekend of 10/12 and it was 78 degrees. And of course almost every weekend since has been warm and sunny (even now in late-november)! Such is life....good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards