New York-Upstate

Need venue Ideas...Please help!

I'm moving to Watertown, NY this spring and  I will be planning our wedding somewhere niether one of us has lived/visited..intimidating..yes! I would like to have my short list for venues when we get out there.  Any ideas or input would be very much appriciated. Here the critera...

We do not want a cookie cutter typical banquet hall wedding.  Something unique, near water or rustic, Ceremony, reception and lodging all in one spot.  As all of our guest will be coming from out of state we will be having a "destination" type wedding,  we are looking for somewhere that will be unforgetable for everyone guests included.  Somewhere that helps plan activites for guests would be great..  somewhere that has somethings on site..don't want to have to rent everything from the ground up. Also, actual location doesn't matter because everyone will be traveling to begin with, within an hour or two of airport would be nice. To give an idea what we are looking for...I really like the idea of the stone tavern farm and hurd orchards but sadly either no or not enough lodging.  Thanks for any help!

Re: Need venue Ideas...Please help!

• molls332233molls332233 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a place called 'Pats Barn' near RPI (college in Troy, NY) that sounds like something you are going for! I dont know much about it, but here is a link with some pictures:

http://www.rpitechpark.com/tour03.php
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    148 Invited image 120 Happy face! image 28 Sad face... image
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • aral2003aral2003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-upstate_need-venue-ideasplease?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:124Discussion:ed194a44-7c60-4425-9e60-6dc692d1b843Post:d83ccb29-c1bb-4de6-ae57-689f4df57de9">Re: Need venue Ideas...Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is a place called 'Pats Barn' near RPI (college in Troy, NY) that sounds like something you are going for! I dont know much about it, but here is a link with some pictures: <a href="http://www.rpitechpark.com/tour03.php" rel='nofollow'>http://www.rpitechpark.com/tour03.php</a>
    Posted by molls332233[/QUOTE]

I went to a wedding at the Barn this past summer.  The venue was rustic and cute, but the one thing I didnt like was that half the guests sat downstairs, and the other half sat upstairs.  They probably had around 150 guests.  Also, I am not sure who catered the reception but we were seated at one of the last tables told they could go to the buffet, and by the time we got there they ran out of bread.  These are things I would want to know if I was considering the venue for my wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Glen Sanders Mansion has an inn on premise and is right on the Mohawk River, it is beautiful. 

Also there is a new venue in downtown Schenectady called Key Hall at Proctors that used to be a bank,it is extremley unique and beautiful, plus they have great pricing!
  • edited December 2011
    I grew up in Watertown, and the most popular area up there for weddings was Alexandria Bay (about 40 minutes north).  It is a beautiful town right on the St. Lawrence River.  Bolt Castle allows you to have your ceremony on thier grounds near the boat house.  A gorgeous backdrop.  I was going to originally have my wedding up there, but decided that since I live near Albany, I couldn't plan a wedding 4 hours away lol.  Also I believe it's called the Manor House in Pierrepont Manor is beautiful as well.  If you need more help up there let me know!  I lived there for 20 years!!!
  • kheatherkheather member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you Ladies.  I have looked at everyones suggstions and more and still haven't found any where that I would even want to check out.. I did leave out some details in my first post, maybe adding  will give more of and idea of what I am looking for.Thinking very casual, that is who we are, going formal wouldn't fit us. Guest list 50.  We would really love to have an outdoor ceremony and reception...Not a banquet hall(obviously there must be a back up plan if bad weather). Reception wise I am thinking pig roast, beer and a bon fire..simple..some might say "redneck" ..but I believe simple, we just want to celebrate with our family and friends and relax. If I would be getting married in my home state there is a little campground/cottages an a small lake, this would be the first place I would inquire.  Hopefully this gives more of an idea of what we are looking for.  I'm starting to think we might not be able to find what we want... so any ideas would be very much apriciated. Thank you in advance Smile
  • edited December 2011
    What about the Tug Hill Winery in Lowville?  I've never been there personally but i've seen pictures and it is BEAUTIFUL... I'm not sure how the "redneck" pig roast type reception would work there, but it's very rustic and outdoorsy. 
  • HarveyVHarveyV member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I suggest you try Altamont Manor.  It's a beautiful place about 20 minutes from the end of the Northway.  From what you say, they have what you're looking for,...beautiful gardens for the ceremony with a Plan B in case it rains.  It's not a wedding factory but a family run venue.  There's a beautiful wrap around porch too. It's up on a hill overlooking the Hudson/Mohawk valley and on a clear day you can actually see downtown Albany.  The web site is www.altamontmanor.com
  • jts001jts001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I booked my wedding at Longfellows in Saratoga for May of 2013.  I fell in love with the venue because it's not your traditional banquet hall!  It has a rustic feel yet it's classy.  You should def. check it out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards