New York-Upstate

How to avoid cheesy videographers

I know I keep posting about videographers but I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for! I know many people recommend Al Woodard but as I've stated before I think he's kind of cheesy. In a video I saw of a friend's wedding it seemed like a lot of posed shots and very staged. I NEED someone who we won't even know is there. I had heard of Lance Wheeler but another nottie said he is kinda cheesy too. This is one of those added expenses we could do without but after talking to all of my friends who are married, this is the one thing they regretted not having.

Another nottie recommended Ray Zanta.....any thoughts?  Anyhow, willing to spend the money if we can just find the right person. Looking for opinions!!!!!!

Re: How to avoid cheesy videographers

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't really make any recommendations but I will say that I didn't have a videographer and I don't have any regrets.  I pretty much decided that I would rather spend more money on good pictures than video.

A friend of mine used her camera to videotape the ceremony and parts of the reception.  It is not professional by any means, but it is free and I still love to watch it.  I think that I probably would have regretted spending a lot of money on a videographer.  Our photographer was amazing and we have so many great pictures so I'm happy about the decision.

I'm not saying that you would feel the same way.  I just wanted to present the perspective of someone who doesn't regret that I don't have a professional video.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the response. I'm assuming if we don't find someone we are completely comfortable with we will just forget about it.
  • edited December 2011
    Videographers are professionals and are paid for their service.  If you tell them what you want 9 times out of 10 that's what you will get.  If you have not met any of the videographers and talked to them about what you would like and not like you won't get a good idea of what they will do.  Our videographer usually interviews all the guests and gets messages from them.  We didn't want this so they didn't do it on the wedding day.

See if you can view a few of the videos they have done to get a full idea of their style.  HTH! 
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't use him but met with Cascade Video out of Ithaca and really liked them (I only didn't use him because I won a free videographer at a bridal show). He is a professor in Ithaca and did not have cheesy videos.

http://www.cascadevideo.com/
  • texaslolamytexaslolamy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Spotlight films (spotlightfilms.net) are really good. I have seen a video that they have done. It wasn't cheesy or overdone. It was classy and a good memory of the day. The bride couldn't have been happier with the product. I don't know where you are, but they are in the Rochester area.
  • edited December 2011
    Have you checked out Tibor Torok? He was my videographer this September and he was amazing!! Everyone commented on how they didn't really see him, but he captured every single moment. He edited the entire video, I can't even describe how amazing it is. He set a large portion of the video to music, which was great and not cheesy at all. I was also worried about our wedding video being too cheesy, but it was opposite. It was very classy and well put together. I honestly would have paid 10 times the amount that we paid for this video. If it meant not having flowers, I would have sacrificed them seeing how amazing our video came out. Sorry if I'm going a little over board but I just cannot say enough. I hope you find someone that you love. If you look at Tibor's website you may think some of his sample videos are cheesy, but I think they are old because mine was totally different than his samples. Good luck and feel free to email me if you have any questions. Emily2me at gmail.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much I will check him out! I saw the name when I was exploring photographers. Did you have 2 cameras or one?
  • edited December 2011
    Hi sorry i didn't see your post because I rarely come to the knot anymore. He only had one camera, I'm not sure if he gives the option of two... I think he's a one-man show. I think one was enough but maybe you could ask him if he has other options.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • edited December 2011
    We used John DeMarco from True Spirit Media out of Binghamton. Super easy, very professional and accomodating.

http://www.truespiritmedia.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards