New York-Upstate
Options

Planning a Plattsburgh wedding from Nebraska

Hello All!

I am originally from Upstate but have been gone a few years.  Heading home to get married but am in desparate need of expertise from ladies in the area.  Looking for vendors for June of 2012.  I would love any feedback on vendors.  Thanks so much!

Re: Planning a Plattsburgh wedding from Nebraska

• Options
    Cleo7Cleo7 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What type of wedding are you planning?  Have you selected a venue yet? Have you looked into the Valcour Inn and Conference center?  It's a beautiful venue right on Lake Champlain.  They have 2 different buildings - many couples choose to use both!  You might also look into Peck's hall in Altona, it's a bit outside of Plattsburgh but they have 3 different room options - one of which can seat over 500 if you're planning a large wedding.

Good luck!  Let me know if you have any questions. 
    image Final Count: 80 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Valcour is nice, and although they say you have to be an alumni of SUNY Plattsburgh, if anyone you know is an alumnus you're safe.  It's a beautiful spot.

The Burgundy Room on Route 3 (heading toward Morrisonville) is nice for a winter wedding, but not large enough for anything like 500 people.  And I have heard of people having it there in the summer as well.

If you want to travel a bit up to Lake Placid the Whiteface Club has beautiful spots.

As for other vendors:

Flowers:  I'm using the Plattsburgh Flower Market but honestly I found them a bit expensive.  My bouquet is about 6" in diameter and not trailing, and it is $125!!  Maybe I'm just out of practice with bouquets, but my first marriage 14 years ago was a cascading bouquet made with 3 dozen roses and it was the same price... Other options are Country Expression, Nelsons, and believe it or not Erin at Price Chopper does an AMAZING job.

Photographers:  Neil from Blair & Webber is amazing.  Not doing mine (hired someone I work with) but he has done photos for me as far as family portraits and I've never been let down.

Cake - I'm not sure if the woman I'm using would be comfortable with me posting her info all over the internet so private message me if you're interested!  Her cakes are very moist and very beautiful.  I'm going simple (second wedding) but I know she does elaborate as well.

Good luck!
  • Options
    jconklin29jconklin29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and welcome home! I am getting married in September, and although I haven't gotten the official reviews, I can make a few recommendations based on previous weddings I have attended and helped plan You can google any of the recommendations and at least get phone numbers, if not website addresses !

Reception site: The Elk's Lodge #621 on Cumberland Ave. I have attended a couple weddings there before and enjoyed everything-- the lakefront location, the(reasonably priced) tasty food, and the beauty of the outside of the building (Victorian style). The Pine Room was just recently renovated, and they have a new chef, also!

Flowers: Private message me for this one. The person I recommendis very local and displays organic veggies, herbs, and flowers regularly at the Plattsburgh Farmers and Crafters Market. While she doesn't have much in the way of website advertisement, I have seen her albums of wedding bouquets, boutinneres, and centerpieces, and she does lovely work!

All things paper: Studley Printing- They will feature photos from your wedding in their annual issue of Northern Bride magazine if you order invitations, programs, etc through them.

Photography: Silverlining Photography (professional) or Clayton Smalley  www.claytonsmalley.com (ameteur but very talented and dedicated)

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, I have other opinions on other local vendors as well. Laura's Bridal (aka College Formals) hosts an annual Bridal Show every January so that may be something to think about as well. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow thank you all so much for your help and suggestions!!  So much info!

I have actually looked at the Westside Ballroom and Valcour.  Renting both buildings at Valcour was outside our budget and just one building would be a little small.  Has anyone heard anything about Westside? 

I had also heard about flowers at the Farmers Market.  i will be looking into that next time I am home. 

Thank you so much again and congrats to all of you!
  • Options
    AmelianScottAmelianScott member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is such a beautiful area to get married in!  We're getting married in September but can share with you the vendors we selected.

We're doing our reception at Valcour Boathouse.  I think the facility fee is OK, but catering prices from Chartwells is where they get you! (good thing they limit you to 170!).  I've heard they have good food at Westside.  They also do Bridal Shows there as well (I think like twice a year?)

Flowers:  after doing some price estimates I went with Country Expressions.  Me too I felt Plattsburgh Flower market was too expensive ($200 more than the Country Expressions estimate!).  I also liked how Diane from C.E. was able to give me an estimate on the spot.

Photographer: Pat Hendrick from Paul Smiths NY (willing to drive to P'Burgh).  He was the most reasonable one I found!  Others in this area seems exorbitant.  He does a lot of outdoors photography and also most everything for the Ogdensburg Diocese.  http://www.pathendrickphotography.com/ I'm looking forward to working with him. 

Good luck and congrats!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am orginally from Plattsburgh, and I gotta say, there's not a lot there for the wedding industry.  Consider hiring Cindy Byno from Northwood Events.  She is based in KEane but she is pretty much the wedding planner for the Plattsburgh area.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My best friend is looking into the Westside Ballroom in Plattsburgh and was wondering if anyone has heard ANYTHING about it yet? Food, pricing, general impressions? The only info she can find is on their Facebook page which is monitored by them so of course it's all nice. haha. Any info would be great. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards