Tennessee

Favors unique to TN?

Hi ladies! Sorry to drop in! FI and I are getting married in Ohio, but FI grew up in the Knoxville area -- I was hoping some of you might be able to help us out with our idea for wedding favors. :) We'd like to include some sort of treat or item unique to both states we grew up in, and I'm looking for ideas for something unique to Tennessee (maybe even East TN). Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! We were thinking of buckeye candies from Ohio, but are pretty clueless for something comparable for the Tennessee side! Moonpies? I heard that they're pretty big in the south -- would this be a good idea? They were created in Tennessee, weren't they? Any other ideas? Thanks so much!!! :D

Re: Favors unique to TN?

• edited December 2011
    try searching a back log on this board--this subject comes up on occasion. Moonpies (and RC cola) are from TN--Chattanooga I think. They are inexpensive but not that good to eat--but this is not a universal opinion-some people love moon pies!) You could also include Chattem items (Bull Frog sunscreen, etc--Chattanooga), Jack Daniels (Lynchburg), Little Debbie snack cakes (Collegedale), Kelly's katch caviar (paddlefish row, I think from East TN), Elvis memorabilia (Memphis), Mountain Dew (some people say it was originally developed in Knoxville), the first coca cola bottling facility was in Chattanooga I think, googoo clusters? good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow Thanks! That's certainly a great start! :)
  • wallace101610wallace101610 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    does it have to be food? knox is such a huge ut city! what about little orange footballs, or even just a grooms cake like neyland stadium. also, check out calhouns.com, its a really well known resteraunt in east tn (esp knox) maybe at their souvenier shop you could find something? or you could always give them jack daniels! maybe a signature drink, with a cute tn name... ive lived here forever, and cant think of any local candies
    Photobucket image
    Crystal and Shawn
    edited December 2011
    oh, and gatlinburg is big for pancakes, what about a maple syrup in one of the little leaf bottles?
    Photobucket image
    Crystal and Shawn
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks wallace! FI wants to do little bottles of JD, but we don't know how much those will cost. We're sort of on a budget, and we had other favors to include as well, so we just thought candies would be the most affordable! I'll look into those Calhoun's souvenirs though! FI's brother and SIL had their RD there, and she used to work there too! :)
    edited December 2011
    http://www.beerliquors.com/buy/liquors/miniatures.htm prob cheaper at the liquor stores, but heres a link to buy online
    Photobucket image
    Crystal and Shawn
  • caitdanacaitdana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI is from WI and we are going have welcome to TN bags in the rooms. We are putting in Goo-Goo's from nashville Smoky Mountain Taffy CD of Artist from TN-Justin Timberlake, Tina Turner, BB King, Elvis, Kenny Chesney, Rodney Atkins, Johnny Cash (i dont think he was born here but his car pooled to school with my mom when they were little so Im counting it) Usher, etc. JD mini bottles- I dont know how much they are elsewhere but here in Nashville they are 1.50 a bottle at the liquor store Mountain Dew- Started in Knoxville As our favor we are boxing up smoky mtn fudge for each quest.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Mmm Smokey Mtn Fudge... thanks you two! I'm late as usual, but I hadn't check this thread in forever! :)
  • BekkersBekkers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as the Calhoun's yummies, their bar-b-que sauce is very popular, has even won awards (I think). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards