Tennessee
Options

Chattanooga Townhome/Apartment

DH just got a job offer in Chattanooga and he has accepted it.  We are originally from East TN near Knoxville and aren't that familiar with Chattanooga.  We know we wanna live on the outskirts but aren't sure what the "nicer" areas are.    We've google searched & looked on craigslist but haven't found anything just yet.  We were going to look at Cleveland this weekend but are thinking that might be too far away.  Any suggestions/comments?

Re: Chattanooga Townhome/Apartment

• Options
    edited December 2011
    FI's friend lives in Hixson, which is fairly close to Chattanooga i think, but definitely more of a quiet town. It seems nice- not ghetto-ish that i could tell.  I'm not to familiar with the area myself (Blount county here), but i hope that gives you a bit of info.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm from Chattanooga. It sounds like you want to rent. Cleveland is a 30 minute drive on a good day. Add traffic and it might be an hour. You can find stuff closer. You want to stay away from Hamilton Place. Everything near there is more expensive. Hixson, Red Bank, Soddy Daisy, & East Ridge are cheaper. I had a very affordable apartment here before I bought my home. But they are older. The outsides aren't fancy but it was big and affordable inside. They were called Park Rdige Apartments on Frawley Road. There is also new developments over off of Frawley. No idea on the price but lots of townhomes and condos. Easy access to the interstate was the best part about living there. If i can help any more just let me know. I still try to check in n this board when I can. Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Hixson, and love it here. It's close to the busyness of downtown but is quieter and much cheaper place to live. My FI and I are moving to a bigger place in October that's still in the Hixson area. We found an awesome place called Ellie Plaza townhomes. Two bedrooms, one and a half baths with an upstairs and downstairs. Good sized kitchen and lots of closet and cabinent space. Only $615 a month.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Depends on where your husband will work and how long he's willing to drive each day. I agree with previous posters, Cleveland/Ooltewah, etc are a pretty far drive if he's heading downtown. Hixson, Soddy Daisy, Redbank, and other places north of town are inexpensive, crime is near absent, shopping is easy, schools are pretty good, and its a reasonable drive in to downtown. North Georgia is often overlooked but is reasonably priced too. Good luck!
  • Options
    patjulie76patjulie76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Chattanooga and it is a great place to live!  Hixson is a good area if you are going to be on the outskirts of town.  Everything you would possibly need is a close drive.  If you have kids however living directly in North Chattanooga would be best because the school system is better.  Chattanooga is small enough that you can basically get anywhere you need in 15-20 minutes.  No need to live in Cleveland.  Definitely stay away from Hamilton Place.  There is a lot of traffic!  If you have questions about Chattanooga just ask, I'll be more than happy to answer them!
  • Options
    autumnlalaautumnlala member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there, I live in Chattanooga also!  I would echo all the PP about staying away from Hamilton Place, unfortunately that's where a lot of the newer apartments are but the traffic is a mess and it's big mall sprawl out there.  Ditto about Cleveland and Ooltewah being far away.  I live in North Chattanooga and LOVE it, about 5 min. from downtown but my street is very quiet, older homes, lots of rentals available, parts of it are still gentrifying but overall it's safe as long as you use your head.  If you're wanting to live a little farther out, Hixson would be my first recommendation as well, or there are some great apartments at the foot of Signal Mtn near Baylor that are quiet and secluded but still very close to downtown.  There are some nice places in Red Bank but it gets a little dodgy here and there.  Do you know where your DH's office will be?  If he's working out east, there are some nice places in East Brainerd that I could recommend.  Otherwise I would avoid that area since it's not so convenient for other areas.If you have more specific questions, feel free to email me, autumn witt at gmail dot com (no spaces).
    Married May 9, 2009, Fall Creek Falls State Park, Tennessee Male factor infertility, BFP after two failed IUIs and one IVF image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards