Tennessee

Memphis Area Cakes reviews

FH, Best man and I went today and did my cake tasting with 3 area bakers =) Here are my reviews up to this point!!

* all prices are based on a cake to feed 125 people and a very basic design (no flowers or special decorations)

**please note that i have not had my wedding yet and i am merely reviewing their price/taste and the overall feel of the bakers!

Sugarlicious in Germantown, Tn-

First thoughts about the baker
    She is very easy to work with!! Very sweet and completely open to any and all ideas!! She was extremely flexible. She does work out of her home and her kitchen (work space) was VERY clean and I was very impressed with her overall! She covered all the bases of the cake process and was very detailed in making sure we got what we needed!

Taste
She prepared us 3 types of cupcakes (Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry) She was very organized and had cupcakes ready for all 3 of us. The cake was amazingly moist and delicious! YUMMY! The icing was a tad sweet for our liking, and kind of overpowered the cake :( but some people may love it! The icing was good, just very sweet. She does do all types of fillings , but she has a orange liqueur filling that is featured at a sushi bar in Memphis!

She is willing to do almost any cake/size/design. SHE DOES NOT DO FONDANT. Which did not mind (we are not a fan of fondant!) She may decorate in fondant but we did not need it so we did not ask.

Price
Her pricing is VERY reasonable.(2.50 a slice)She quoted us 310.00 for the cake and her delivery charge was also acceptable. She charges $10 delivery and set up within memphis and $50 in surrounding areas. She requires half of the cost to reserve the date and half within 2 weeks.

Overall we were very impressed with her!

Sharp Cakes- My future mother in law and bridesmaid met us for this tasting!

**I understand that everyone has bad days, i am basing this on my first impression.

First thoughts
       Well to start, she was not very easy to meet with. She rescheduled twice at the last minute and the 3rd time we agreed to meet at a certain time (which she showed up 15 mins late) It made my FL very leery that she did not let us se where she bakes the cake, instead meeting us at a local restaurant. All of my correspondence with her was pleasant and she was always very sorry for having to rescheduled and very gracious when we were understanding.

The Baker
      FH and I both were concerned with how unprofessional she was, she disclosed WAY too much information about her personal life (discussing her family issues and custody battles with her ex), texted my phone multiple times without telling me who she was, she made many references to drinking and needing a "happy hour" to my older FI (who is very strongly against drinking)   

The Taste
     She had a 9" cake made with 3 flavors on 3 different corners (very cute idea!) she took the time to decorate the cake and everything! The cake may have been decent, but the icing was horrid! She uses a "special" recipe including marshmallow fluff! She says that it gives it the look of fondant. The texture was not smooth at all and truthfully some fondant tastes better than this! When you first cut the cake you see the icing looks ROCK hard and the decorations fall off within seconds. The icing literally left a bad taste in all of our mouths!!  It pulled apart like laffy taffy! My Future father in law tasted the cake later( just the cake itself)and said it tasted like it had been frozen.

The Price
Her price was insane for the quality.Her starting price is 3.75 a slice! she was going to charge us $550 (Includes delivery) to do the cake for 125 people. Mind you she does this out of her home. She was very flexible on the payment and required half to reserve the date, but said that she would take payments.

Overall
She has potential. I honestly feel that if a bride really wanted to take the time to see if she has any alternatives to her icing (some people may like the icing!) and discuss freshness of the cake, she may be a really good decorator! she was full of sprit and eager to please. I am very picky and want  a cake baker that i can tell her what i want and it will show up like i want it. Her prices were alittle steep for us, but may be acceptable to other couples!

West side cakes in West Memphis Arkansas!

* my cake tasting is tomorrow so i will update!

First thoughts
I Met the baker today and she was very sweet she has a bakery in west memphis. She works with her husband. He sample designs were FABULOUS! we were a walk in so she was in the middle of doing a cake that looked great! She does use fondant (i do not know about her buttercream yet!) I hear that her cakes are great! and that she has many flavors (including choc.chip!!) She was very flexible about working us in for a tasting!

Price
OMG great prices!! 2.00 a slice!!! i am pretty sure that the prices change depending on details and fillings BUT that is great for a base price! She gives you the top layer free with your order and free delivery! (in west memphis area)

Fingers cross that everything goes well tomorrow!

Include any reviews you may have!!! We are still looking for a great baker and open to trying more!

* I attached a picture of our cake so will understand how simple i meant! (we are not doing flowers and we are doing 3 layers =)

Re: Memphis Area Cakes reviews

• edited December 2011
    Report: Westside was AMAZING!!

Taste
    The cake was incredibly moist! the icing was rich and had a very unique yummy flavor! We tried the wedding cake flavor and the strawberry. Both were outstanding! The  make any flavor you want!! Carmel, Choc mint, butter pecan, pineapple and tons more!! They will use fondant if you want but motly stick to buttercream for taste reasons.

Other stuff

Like most they require 1/2 down to reserve the date and the other 1/2 the day before the wedding. They do not provide a cake stand (have not found a baker that will) but has a list of rental places that will.

Price

They are very different from other cake companys! MOST cake companys will charge more for a cake if you say the word wedding. They charge the same for a birthday cake as they do for a wedding cake. They charge more ONLY for extensive deigns. Most cakes are 2.00/ slice and it has to be REALLY extravagant to add to the price.

We were very impressed with this shop and booked with them immediatly! they are a young growing company and are up to date on all the new styles!
  • mwhitson14mwhitson14 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you SO much for your reviews! You should create a bio to add these to, other Memphis brides will find this hugely helpful.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards