Tennessee

NWR: Memphis Vacay Suggestions?

Hi ladies! Hope your wedding planning is going well. I was hoping some of you might able to offer some Memphis vacation advice. FI and I are considering a trip in July and were looking for ideas of good places to stay (can splurge a little, we'll take the megabus to town for under $5), special sites to see, good food and anything else helpful. Also was wondering how public transit is since we won't have a car. We're just trying to decide between Memphis & Cleveland. TIA
Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio

Re: NWR: Memphis Vacay Suggestions?

• edited December 2011
    I would suggest you stay downtown, there are many hotels to choose from no matter what your price. Downtown also puts you close to many must-eat restuarants. I would certainly recommend The Rendevous, they service BBQ but it's soo good!

Downtown puts you not terribly far from the Memphis Zoo, which in July will be hot, but I say it's a must-see. I would also suggest Graceland, home of Elvis. It's such a neat place. The National Civil Rights Museum (which is downtown), where Martin Luther King Jr was assisinated. The Pink Palace Museum, is a natural history museum. In July there should be a Memphis Redbirds game, which is also downtown, it's a beautiful stadium, especially for a AAA team. Sun Studios, which is a recording studio for some of the most famous artists recording their hit, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc. The Peabody Hotel is expensive to stay at but it's a wonderful place to visit. And twice daily you can catch the March of the Ducks that live at the Hotel. And of course you can't leave Memphis without visiting Beale St. It's Memphis' own Bourbon St.

There are so many things to do downtown that don't require any transportation or if it's too hot you can ride the trolley. Cabs are quite plentiful downtown, if you need to travel a little farther.

Hope you enjoy your vacation!!
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge-Engagement Ring
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • laurenfplaurenfp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Completely agree with Emily. Without having a car, downtown would definately be the place to stay. There are so many things to do downtown within walking distance, including many great restaurants with any type of food you would want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards