Texas-Austin

Wedding Cake Prices?

I dont know anything about cakes or cake prices.  We have a friend of a friend of a friend offer to do our cake at a discount. I know it may seem rude to ask how much someone is paying for the their cake. But I was curious what other brides are paying for their wedding cakes.  I just want to make sure I'm not being suckered or taken advantage of. It's a 4 tier cake for about 200 guests.How much would the average cost be for a wedding cake?
Mrs. Jessica Baker #52 www.austinoutlaws.com

Re: Wedding Cake Prices?

• edited December 2011
    My cake was 4 tiers, and fed 180 guests.  But, I'm sure if you cut them right, you could have fed 200 guests from my cake.  Our cake was $2/slice and it cost $360 total.  My cake was AMAZING and we still have people talking about how great of a cake it was. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I've heard many times that $2.50/person is industry standard.  We are having a friend of a co-worker do our cake (that's what she does for a living) and she is VERY graciously giving us 25% off!!!! 
    then.now Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • meganrosejmeganrosej member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a two tier cake with fondant, $239 for 85 servings.  So that's about 2.80 a serving. 
  • erin&andyerin&andy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Standard is 2.50 a slice and can go up from there.  Our cake will feed about 150 and is 4 tiers (that includes the anniversary top).  Because we chose to have a very intricate design (based on pictures from the temple my fiance grew up attending) our cake is $700.  But, that is expensive.  (man, I hope it looks good.)
  • GerberladyGerberlady member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to pay 3.25 a slice for about 200 people as well. Our flavor is Italian Cream Cake covered with buttercream icing, not fondant.
  • emkay625emkay625 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Generally cakes start at around 2.50 per serving and the price goes up from there. (Fondant adds to the price, as does multiple flavors, complicated decorations, sugar/gumpaste work, etc.) So it really depends on how elaborate of a cake you want.
  • edited December 2011
    Our's is 3 tiered and serves around 100 people with fondant and a filling. It is costing us around 3.75 a slice but I think it's a bit of a difficult design. Good Luck!
  • MnMShawMnMShaw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't remember the breakdown exactly but I think ours was $2.25 a serving.
    Blog
    TTC #1 since February 2011
    BFP #1 1/14/12 EDD 9/24/12 m/c at 8w4d on 2/20/12
    March 2012- Dx with PCOS, started metformin
    July 2012- SA completely normal
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards