Texas-Austin
Options

Independent tailors/seamstresses good for wedding gown alterations?

Hi everyone!My wedding is in about three and a half months. I got my dress at Alfred Angelo but don't want to get my alterations done there b/c I've heard horror stories about their alterations. I also want to wait as close to the wedding as possible for the bodice to be brought in, though I could get the hem and bustle done now. My bodice has a lot of beadwork on it, so I'm sure that waiting will cost me extra - though Alfred Angelo doesn't take more money for a faster job since apparently they ship their dresses to FL for alterations. Anyway, I'm willing to pay extra for the work to get done as close to the date as possible and would like to work with someone who's not with a chain store. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Re: Independent tailors/seamstresses good for wedding gown alterations?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just at Classy Concepts today for my first alterations fitting! My dress has a lot of beadwork too, and their prices seemed reasonable. A lot of girls on here also rave about the alterations at Alexia Gavela, so they might be worth checking out as well. Both places with alter dresses not purchased through them. HTH!
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• Options
    henderstraushenderstraus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Nelda's Tailors and they were very quick. My first round of alterations took about 1 week (take in at waist, bust, bustle) and then I had to go in for a few extra nips and tucks (shorten the bustle, take in more on top). Overall it took about 3 weeks.
  • Options
    meganrosejmeganrosej member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Nelda's Tailors, and I will have my dress completed with a hem, bustle, and the bodice brought in, all done in two weeks. She could have done it faster if I wanted, but I was in no hurry.  I didn't have a lot of beading on the bodice, but I did have some and it wasn't an issue at all.  I've really like Nelda's so far, and I know there are other brides on here who have used her. 
  • Options
    AggieDanerAggieDaner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alfred Angelo doesn't ship their dresses off to do alts, they are done in Austin. I don't know who told you that, but they had their wires crossed, haha. You can pay extra to have alts rushed as well, it's usually $30 extra. Lupe at the South location is doing my alterations and I have complete faith in her work. Still, if you want to avoid it all together then I've heard amazing things about Alexia Gavela's alts!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For those of you who have had your alternations @ Nelda's Tailors, was it reasonably priced for the amount of work that you had it done at? I bought my dress from the David's Bridal on Research Blvd, but don't really want to get my alterations done there. Has anyone had their alternations done at this David's Bridal, if so, was it a good experience??? If so, that could change my mind.
  • Options
    meganrosejmeganrosej member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm picking my dress up on Tuesday, so I'll know exactly what the final cost will be then and I'll let you know. 
  • Options
    henderstraushenderstraus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had no idea what to expect from alterations costs so I can't say if it was what I expected or not. However, my mom was very pleased when I told her what the final cost of it was. They charge per hour they are working on your dress, so the more beadwork they need to move around, the longer it will probably take, and the more expensive it would be.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    okay. thanks meganrosej that would be great!
  • Options
    shanwalk2shanwalk2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    highly highly highly suggest alexia gavella. they did an incredible job and was very reasonably priced.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards