Texas-Austin

Rehearsal dinner locations - please help

My FMIL has decided she would like to "host" the rehearsal dinner, and fiance and I had already decided to do a small rehearsal dinner at our home and have it catered by Salt Lick.  Now that FMIL has gotten involved, she basically wants to invite her whole side of the family which nearly doubles the amount of people making it not possible to use our home.  So, we're looking at 28 people to put in a private room.  We'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible. Does anyone have any ideas?  I am totally open to suggestions.  Any help would be appreciated.  Our venue is in South Austin, so anything in South or Central Austin would be prefereable.  Thanks in advance!
imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Rehearsal dinner locations - please help

• shanwalk2shanwalk2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had ours at Iguana Grill. We didn't have a private room - but they had plenty of space for us on the patio (covered, with AC). They were great. My MIL arranged for a fajita buffet with rice/beans, ect for everyone. It wasn't a ton of money per head and we were very happy.
  • cmb12185cmb12185 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having ours at the Iron Cactus downtown.
  • edited December 2011
    I've always thought that Hills Cafe would be a fun place to do a RD.  We're doing ours at the Salt Lick and are really looking forward to it!  Although, it may be a little far to drive for some.
  • edited December 2011
    FromPence- My father had his rehearsal dinner at Salt Lick and it was great! We all enjoyed it. The staff was really great at handling the large crowd. And who doesn't love BBQ? Also, for some reason I did not think of having ours at Hills Cafe... FI LOVES that place. He will LOVE the idea of having it there, so thanks for the thought! :) Spacey- In addition to the previous suggestions, I have heard that the Mexican food restaurant on 15th and Red River (the name escapes me even though I've been there 10 times, ahhh sorry.) is good for rehearsal dinners. I remember someone saying it was like $10-12/person. I hope I'm not imagining that? But they have that patio area.  I had my 20th birthday dinner there a few years ago with a crowd of 15 and everyone enjoyed it.  Also, a friend had their rehearsal dinner at Matt's El Rancho and it was good too! Not too sure on the price, but they accomodated a large crowd very well.
  • edited December 2011
    We're considering Mangia Pizza on Guadalupe, they have a party room for rent.
  • edited December 2011
    We're having ours at the Austin Pizza Garden. They have a room upstairs you can reserve for free, and they'll do a buffet for you with unlimited pizza, sodas & tea, tax and gratuity included for a flat per person fee. I think the price per head just varies depending on what day of the week it is. Ours is a Thursday night, so it's just $10.50 per person. Not sure how much more it would be for a Friday night. We also considered Hill's Cafe. LOVE that place. Best burgers in town. I'm pretty sure they'll set you up a "build your own" burger buffet if you ask. :) GL!
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• spacey281spacey281 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aww, lovely, helpful ladies of Austin!  Thanks so much!  This is really great.  I appreciate it!
    imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ejayne and FromPence- Any reason why y'all decided against Hill's? I emailed them today asking for information (will call later in the week if no response), but just curious if there's something that's a "turn off."
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't really decide against Hill's... we went FOR Austin Pizza Garden. I never even got a price quote from Hill's, it was just one of those things where we liked the idea... but Austin Pizza Garden was our first choice, and within our budget, so we went for it! However, their party room is upstairs and there's no elevator... and my grandpa has been in and out of the hospital lately and might not be able to make it up the stairs. Now I'm thinking I should get a price quote from Hill's in case we have to switch venues!
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    That build your own burgers is a fun idea. I may steal that for my wedding reception. I'm hoping to have it July 4th weekend and that would be a perfect dinner menu to celebrate the fourth! Man, i LOVE this board! Ya'll are great!
  • may2005may2005 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our RD at Hoover's off of 183.  There is one downtown as well.Other places to consider are Eastside Cafe, Vivo's, & Chez Zee.
  • edited December 2011
    Ejayne- I received information from Hill's yesterday with their fees for each space of the place (varies indoor to outdoor), and their menu with price per person. Let me know if you want me to forward it to you!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, but I already emailed them and got the info! :)
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• foxandsocksfoxandsocks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kelseymw would you mind forwarding me that info for Hills? Thanks! alaimo[dot]k@gmail[com]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards