Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

How to tell guests not to take pictures during the ceremony?

My fiance and I recently attended a wedding where we felt like we were surrounded by paparazzi.  During the ceremony, while the hired photographer was working his way around the church, guest cameras were going off, which was kind of distracting and at times really obnoxious.  We felt bad because the bride and groom were somewhat perturbed. We are hoping to keep our wedding guests from taking photos at the ceremony and just let our hired photographer do his thing because we don't want 20 cameras going off behind us.  Is there any way we can do this without upsetting our guests?

Re: How to tell guests not to take pictures during the ceremony?

• Options
    The only things I can think of is to have your hostesses/ushers ask your guests as they enter the ceremony to not take pictures. Or make a nice sign and put it in a frame asking people to refrain from taking pictures during the ceremony. HTH.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    What PP said and have them include that flash photography can get in the way of the professional photographers shots. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've often heard the priest remind guests at the beginning of the ceremony to silence all cell phones and to turn off the flash on their cameras.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Guests typically do take photos during the ceremony and the reception. I don't know why this would perturb the bride and groom. You can put up a little sign in the lobby but I don't think that will prevent all guests from flashing away. I have seen a minister actually announce that flash photography was not allowed and the only one who didn't use flash photography was the real photographer. The guests were still flashing away. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    Our pastor reminded the guests to be curteous and turn off the flash.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    The former pastor in our church used to say "Just as there was no flash photography at the wedding feast at Cana, we're asking that there be no flash photography during Jason and Jill's ceremony today."

Everyone chu kled, but got the point. 

However, if your concern is about post ceremony and reception, I don't think you can say anything.  People will take photos.  So let them snap away.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_tell-guests-not-pictures-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:8d085780-96b8-4e14-aa36-366b53716160Post:78099929-69f9-4ed1-8499-b285ba8939a0">Re: How to tell guests not to take pictures during the ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The former pastor in our church used to say "Just as there was no flash photography at the wedding feast at Cana, we're asking that there be no flash photography during Jason and Jill's ceremony today." Everyone chu kled, but got the point.  However, if your concern is about post ceremony and reception, I don't think you can say anything.  People will take photos.  So let them snap away.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]
    Oh, humor is the best way to make stuff like that stick.  It was a standard joke in the Tiki Room pre-show spiel not to use flash photography because the birds are easily startled and sitting directly over your heads.  (Yes, there's a poop joke in the official script.  It makes me happy.)  I would usually take it a step further and tell people to turn off their flashing toys and necklaces, "because the only thing worse than a startled bird is a bird that's having a seizure."  People definitely got the message.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    make a sign where you have your programs (or whatever) that says no flash photography
    Anniversary
  • Options

I have seen it in the ceremony programs.  Our church does not allow flash photography during the ceremony so we may be doing something like that as well.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_tell-guests-not-pictures-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:8d085780-96b8-4e14-aa36-366b53716160Post:b77802a3-a6cd-4196-a1ac-0d90c39bbb33">Re: How to tell guests not to take pictures during the ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or make a nice sign and put it in a frame asking people to refrain from taking pictures during the ceremony. HTH.
    Posted by MISSCOURTNEY20[/QUOTE]

Great idea! I really like that, I think I'll use that myself.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_tell-guests-not-pictures-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:8d085780-96b8-4e14-aa36-366b53716160Post:b77802a3-a6cd-4196-a1ac-0d90c39bbb33">Re: How to tell guests not to take pictures during the ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or make a nice sign and put it in a frame asking people to refrain from taking pictures during the ceremony. HTH.
    Posted by MISSCOURTNEY20[/QUOTE]

This assumes that guests will actually see the sign, and choose to heed the message.

I think it's much more successful to ask the officiant to announce it at the beginning of the ceremony.  That way everybody hears it, and it really does put the responsibiltiy on the guests to follow the rules.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    For the most part your guest will be adults...give them credit for not using flash photography if there's a verbal warning, a sign, or printed in the program.  Even if you do make every attempt to nip it in the bud...you're still going to have someone take a picture.  Don't let something simple put you in a bad mood on what should be one of the happiest day of your life!  If people snapping pictues during the ceremony is the worse thing that could happen at your wedding...thats pretty good!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_tell-guests-not-pictures-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:8d085780-96b8-4e14-aa36-366b53716160Post:2ffce187-2bb1-4a58-89cd-31065d097c56">Re: How to tell guests not to take pictures during the ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can put up a little sign in the lobby but I don't think that will prevent all guests from flashing away. I have seen a minister actually announce that flash photography was not allowed and the only one who didn't use flash photography was the real photographer. The guests were still flashing away.
    Posted by Lisa8888[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree, this is likely what will happen and has been my experience at weddings. As others have suggested, have your minister to ask them to refrain from flash photography, but thats about all you can do. Some people will still take flash photos. </div><div>
    </div><div>You can include it in the programs as well, but make mention of a way for guests to get your wedding pictures, like whatever web site it might be on. (Because if you ask people not to take pictures, but then don't offer them the professional shots, they're definitely going to still take pics). They MIGHT resist if they know they can get the professional shots. </div>
    Trust your heart, love knows the way. Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My Fiance is a voice over artist at Disney. Everyone knows this, and everyone has heard his voice saying "Ladies and Gentleman, we ask that you please turn off all cell phones and refrain from flash photography." Would it be inappropriate or just funny for him to quickly announce this himself after pretty much everyone is seated, but several minutes before the music actually starts for the BP to start down the aisle? Thoughts?:)
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

@ Thornws: I think it's a great idea.  The fact that he's a voice over artist allows humor in the situation, but you're also getting your point across.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards