Texas-Austin

Cake Alternatives

I'm looking for cheap cake alternatives other than the typical cupcakes and cake balls option. I recently saw a wedding that used Round Rock donuts on pretty cake platters as their cake alternative. I loved it! So cheap! Fits it with my unique Austin theme since we have so many out of state/town guests. (My mom thinks it's super tacky.) Is anyone doing something besides a cake? Or have you seen it done at a wedding? How did people react?

Re: Cake Alternatives

• SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wanted to do pies, but FI vetoed because he wants cake. My friend did mouse cakes (mouse inside with ladyfingers oun the outside to hold it together). She had 3, on separate stands. One with strawberries on top, one with blueberries and raspberries, and one that was chocolate with chocolate shavings on top. Then she had small pieces of flourless chocolate cake arranged on the table around the cake stands, so you could choose what you like. If i can find a pic, ill post it. I think doughnuts would be fun!! In the ame token, you could do popcorn balls, I guess, or fudge.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    someone on here did Amy's Ice Cream, I thought that was a great idea!
    then.now Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • henderstraushenderstraus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Or a cookie bar! You could do homemade (think about the time it would take to bake though) or get Tiff's Treats or another local bakery.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot about Tiff's Treats.. YUM!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    or S'Mores.. I'm hungry, can you tell? But wouldnt it be fun instead of cutting the cake, to roast a marshmallow over a burner and make a big gooey S'More???
  • edited December 2011
    Haha! I love the s'mores idea! That would be so cute if it was somewhere where we could do a bonfire! My FI loves the idea of saving money by doing RR donuts. Are y'all assuming everyone will eat dessert or are you only counting like 75%?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ALL of my family will eat dessert, except the 2 diabetics, and some of the other will probably eat their dessert. I'd say plan for 100%, and make sure your guests/wp can take the rest home with them and they can have them for breakfast!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and you wouldn't have to have a bonfire. There is a pic somewhere on the knot where they did it over candles.. like the long mutli-wick candles?? Its on here somewhere. . Ill have to check with my venue on open flames a because we may end up doing that !
  • sheadaysheaday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having cupcakes and smores. Our venue has a nice firepit and benches outside; it's one of the things I'm most excited about!
  • GerberladyGerberlady member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could try a cute dessert bar, like macaroons and little cookies etc. But I really like the donut idea, I think its super unique.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I alssaw on food network one day that RR donuts makes a HUMONGOUS donut that weighs like 12lbs. That could be your cake and you could even cut it for people..
  • edited December 2011
    I love the smores idea. If I didn't already have a ridiculous amount of cake, I would consider having some fire pits scattered about an do it! You could even dress it up by going to whole foods and getting different flavored marshmallows. I've seen vanilla, strawberry, and peppermint... but I don't know if they have it all the time.
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• jgilbergjgilberg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had cake, cupcakes and our favor/late night snack was donuts from FI's parent's donut shop. The donuts were a big hit and I had a bunch of bags for people to take some home with them. ~Julie
  • edited December 2011
    We had Amy's Ice Cream (in addition to cake, though) and they were wonderful to work with. Check out the catering section of their website. Everyone from Austin loved it (obviously!) and everyone from out of town was so excited to try it. Kids loved it, of course.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI does not like cake, and I don't like how wedding cake tastes (and how it is so $$!!) so we are doing a large candy and cookie buffet surrounding mini fruit tarts for the grooms cake and mini cupcakes for the bride. I have also thought about incorporating these super cute donut holes I just saw in the current issue of Martha Stewart - or actually doing them instead of cupcakes all together! I don't think it matters how anyone will react or what mom & dad think. We're having our wedding our way - no boquet toss, no garter toss, no wedding cake or cutting of the cake...etc. If you like it - do it. It's the things you do out of the 'norm' that will make your wedding memorable and more personal!
    ~ Trish Finfer
    Blog

• sarainaustinsarainaustin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We've thought about doing something neat like Ice Cream sandwiches! My future-hubby doesn't like cake, so we were thinking about that...Also thoguht about getting those multiple tiered cake stands... you know the ones that look like they have crazy arms sticking out... and putting different desserts on each level... like our favorite pie... brownies... donuts... etc.  Then people can have whatever they want!
  • sarainaustinsarainaustin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oooo one more thing.... what about a cupcake bar?!  That's all the rage right now?!  Or a sundae buffet?!?!
  • edited December 2011
    We're having a smores station and a dessert bar. I'm so excited :)
    Planning Blog: www.JohnandSteph2010.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image228 Made the list!
    image 42 Are ready to party!
    image 6 Will be missing out!
    image 180 Can't find the mailbox!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for everyone's help!! Love the huuuuge donut idea! Haha! Makes me feel a lot better to know we're not nuts for abandoning the wedding cake!
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I both don't like wedding cake, so we're not doing one.  Instead, we're doing creme brulee as the "wedding cake" and something chocolate as the "grooms cake"--maybe chocolate mousse or chocolate pot de creme.  I've had a few people (mostly older) say "But...your guests EXPECT cake!"  I don't care.  Sometimes I like to do something unexpected, and hopefully some of them will like the desserts better than the same 'ol cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards