Texas-Austin
Options

Name Change

I know I've seen links before but will someone post the link about how to change my name?

I got married last year, but I didn't change my name then for professional reasons - now I'm ready for a name change and I don't know how.

Thanks!!!

Re: Name Change

• Options
    edited December 2011

Howdy - you might not remember me but my Fiance and I met you at a wedding show out at the Palm Door (Jake is our wedding photog which we discussed.) Anywho - I've not had to do the name change yet but wanted to ask how you are going to handle that for your business and if you will keep it Sledd or if you are going to change it and redesign your logo and site? I'm working to get mine set up and am going to use my future married name rather than maiden to avoid all that hassle. Just curious what your plan was since you seem to have branded your business with the name Sledd.

~ Trish Finfer
    Blog

• Options
    edited December 2011
    How funny!

The photography buisness will remain SLEDD, but for my personal life I'd start to like using my husbands name. It took me a year to decide, but I think it is more important for me to share a name with my family than my business. :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I think that sounds like a good plan.

And for your question, most of the married folks have moved over to the Nest board - try paging Selinacv or Leigh12 over there & they can tell you how they did their name changes, both were in the last 6 months.
    ~ Trish Finfer
    Blog

• Options
    MnMShawMnMShaw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can go to either the DPS or SS office first, it doesn't matter which.  Then just call up everyone to make the change.  My credit cards just let me make the change over the phone.  The bank wanted to see my marriage license and so did my apartment.  Most things though I just called up and was able to change my name on them.
    Blog
    TTC #1 since February 2011
    BFP #1 1/14/12 EDD 9/24/12 m/c at 8w4d on 2/20/12
    March 2012- Dx with PCOS, started metformin
    July 2012- SA completely normal
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto what MnMShaw said. So far I've only been to the SS and DPS offices, and opened a new joint checking accnt with DH... haven't changed my name on anything else. I'm lazy. :P

@ reddie: As for the business name... when I set mine up, I knew I was going to get married eventually and didn't want to deal with the hassle of re-branding or anything like that, so I decided to drop my last name entirely, and just use my first and middle name. Plus I like how "Elizabeth Jayne" sounds on it's own, and Jayne is unique enough that I could get a decent (short) .com URL. :)

I definitely recommend checking available URLs before deciding on your business name.
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been thinking about the name change too (even though the wedding is a few months away), and I have a silly question that you  guys might know the answer to.

I know you have to go to DPS and the SS office to change your name, but I'm assuming you have to bring a copy of the marriage license. It's my understanding that you mail the license off after the wedding, so do you have to wait until you get it back from the county or am I missing a step somewhere? Any info would be helpful!!
  • Options
    selinacvselinacv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The officiant (or priest in our case) mailed off our marriage license after it was signed.  It was returned to us in about a week from Williamson County.  Then I took that to DPS, got my name changed on my license (take cash!!!!) and then headed to the SS office, filled out the paperwork, waited in the waiting room (made the mistake of going to the ghetto one off of Camino la Costa) and just carried whatever paperwork they gave me in my purse until my new stuff came.  Was not painful at all. =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards