Texas-Austin
Options

Looking for some input

Hey there ladies. My fiance and I are both originally from Buffalo Ny and 3 years ago relocated to Laredo Tx for his job. We got engaged back in May after being together for 5 years. We started to look into planning a Buffalo wedding since thats where most of our family is...but realized that we've become quite fond of our new state of residence. Now we're toying with the idea of having the wedding in the Austin/San Antonio/Hill Country area. Right now nothing is set in stone. We're thinking May 21 2011 for a date but we're definately flexible (around my school schedule) and thinking a place that can hold 100-125 people. So heres where I need help.....With not being from the area just googling wedding venues in Austin/San Antonio is a little overwhelming...what are you suggestions? We've only been to Austin once but really liked the time we spent. I'd ideally like a venue that has indoor/outdoor options since the weather can be tricky sometimes. Also we'd need some options nearby for all of our out of town guests (about 75 all together to be honest) ...thank for listening and any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Smile 
-Liz

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Looking for some input

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the Austin Board!! We are going to need some more info to help you out! Can you tell us your budget for the venue, and if you want that to include the ceremony price in it as well. Also are you allotting money towards rentals or do you need that to be included in the venue space money?

If you are planning to get married in May--- you need to realize that is one of the busiest months for weddings in this area. A lot of the venues book as early as 2-1 years out because of that. Also- your other vendors may be booked during that time as well. Just something you need to be aware of-- when you are looking at options. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Its kind of hard to answer everything because we're kind of up in the air about everything still....um the budget for the venue I guess I wouldn't want it to be more then $4000 for everything if possible...it doesn't have to include the ceremony site but if it did thats okay too..I'm thinking it would be nice to have everything and I wouldn't have to rent anything, but I would understand if we had to get a caterer. The date in May is really flexible with getting married in Texas vs Buffalo...I'm in nursing school right now and dont get a lot of time off (I'm also taking summer classes) and my fiances sister is teaching in China and our travel times were not working out. But if we did the wedding here it would open up more availability for myself since I wouldn't have to worry about a ton of time off of school to travel back and forth to plan everything back home.
    Its still not definate yet about getting married in Texas but it seems like it would be better for us. Thanks for getting back to me :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You might look through the posts on the 'Introduce Yourself' post. Most people have included what vendors they are using.

My FI and I visited at least a dozen venues and ended up choosing The Mansion at the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs. I also really liked: Mercury Hall, The Caswell House, Vintage Villas, Kali Kate, & House on the Hill.
  • Options
    sgerene13sgerene13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mercury Hall is awesome!!  We are having our rehearsal dinner as it is too smaill for our wedding- that being said- I LOVE our wedding venue sooooo much- Vista West Ranch- it is GREAT
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We also looked at Mercury Hall, Caswell House, The Mansion (TX Federation), and the Allan House, because we wanted someplace fairly central for all our out-of-town guests; where we could bring in our own caterers and alcohol; offered chairs/tables for free; and could hold both the ceremony and reception there. We chose the Allan House, but like every place in Austin, it books up fast for May!  You could try a Friday or Sunday night for cheaper rates and a greater chance of availability.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much ladies for the ideas :) it's wonderful to get some advice from locals!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Mansion at Judges Hill is absolutely beautiful and has both ceremony and reception sites there. Although I think it would be a bit more than $4000 for 100 guests. It would cost us about $3000 for 32 guests.

The Salt Lick or Thurman Mansion which is outside of Austin in the Hill Country is beautiful and totally unique to "Austin" it's kind of an Austin staple. Their packages include pretty much everything and you can't beat their BBQ!!!!

There's also the Oasis that's on the Lake... beautiful location and pretty reasonably priced.

Congrats and good luck!!
  • Options
    may2005may2005 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used the Caswell House for our May wedding and spent our wedding night at the Mansion on Judge's Hill, 4 blocks away.  Caswell House was pretty as well as very affordable -- their staff is quite helpful.

Both of these places are about a mile from I35 where there are TONS of hotels.  Also, the Doubletree Guest Suites are about 3-4 blocks away from the Caswell House.
  • Options
    mariahpricemariahprice member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Palm Door downtown Austin is a unique venue.   Its right on a creek and has both indoor and outdoor access.  Its an open space and there is a lot you can do with the space.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards