Texas-Austin

Bridal Show Spaming

I saw several posts about spam emails so just wanted to let you know that while I was at the weddings unveiled bridal show, I asked about the "sale" of brides names and e-mail addresses. They told me for this and every other bridal show in the area, that when you register - you are placed on a lead list. Those lead lists are given/provided to any vendor that has paid for space. So, it isn't spam - they are direct emails from the vendors at the show. So I registered and have gotten about 3 follow up emails so far. I plan to hit the Extravaganza in January and wonder how many that I will get?

Re: Bridal Show Spaming

• laleighmoorelaleighmoore member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Interesting to know - I have recently narrowed down my list of possible venues and unsubscribed to several places that didnt make the list. Guess I'll be right back on after Jan! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    When you walk in they try to take down all your info for "prize drawings." Don't give it to them. Tell them "No, Thank You" and move on. Also don't give a vendor your info unless you are seriously into them.  I've been fighting off junk mail and emails ever since that thing.
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a fake email address and phone number that I use for that stuff.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Just venting here, but what really annoys me is the vendors who put ALL the email addresses in the "to" field instead of at least BCC'ing them. Besides the fact that it's unprofessional, it also means that anyone else, like, say, a spammer, could go ahead and "borrow" all those email address too.

So dear bridal show organizers: You want to sell the email list? Fine.  But at least require vendors not to disclose the email addresses to other people. Or something.

Ok, rant over. Back to actual wedding stuff. :)

• may2005may2005 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The vendors who use the wedding websites associated with the various bridal shows pay hefty fees to advertise on them.  One of the perks is access to bridal lead list.

If you don't want to be spammed at your regular email, just set up one associated with your wedding.  There are some great deals that come through some of the emails, so I wouldn't write them all off as a wash.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards